re-install xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by lovemyxp, Dec 8, 2014.

1. lovemyxp

lovemyxp

HI,I am new to this forum so not quite sure where this problem should go,heres the problem
    I have a DELL E521 with 2 HDD'S in it ,one is WIN7 and one is WINXP.
    I had a problem with the WINXP and could not find a fix for it,but had the legal install disk so i did a re-install which i knew would not give me any updates but thought no problem right wrong.
    Now this where it gets interesting the WIN7 HDD will connect to the Internet which i am using right now on same PC so far i have found out the problem it appears to be connected to the drivers,video card,sound card, the on board video card is disabled as i have a GT610 GPU card installed i know that a lot of problems with PC'S are usually simple & stupid.
    What i am tempted to do as soon as i figure it out is transfer all of the data from the WINXP HDD to the SEAGATE 1TB HDD by partitioning it with enough space to do it.
    There is probably a procedure on how to do this but i do not know how to get there from here. thanks

lovemyxp, Dec 8, 2014
  2. lovemyxp

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 8, 2014
  3. lovemyxp

lovemyxp

HI,Elizabeth,T his where i am at with my xp problem,i did a partition on my 1TB HDD to
    160GB'S which is about the same size as the original HDD that came with this DELL e 521
    So now i have a place to put WINXP if i need to is there way i can transfer all of whats on the original HDD less the OS and use the WIN7 OS to get access to the new partition.
    I also have a WD external HDD plugged into a USB port,i tought i may be able to partition it
    so that i could download the 139GB'S that is on the WINXP disk to the new partition that i
    created on the WIN7 disk do you think this possible.
    I think when i tried to transfer what was on the WINXP disk i it wrong and now i have 2 copies of what was on that disk thats why it went from 69GB'S to 139GB'S there are some programs that are suppose to be able to remove duplicates but have use them just yet with
    a 1TB HDD i would be happy to just get it all on one disk and be done with it,thanks

lovemyxp, Dec 8, 2014
  4. lovemyxp

Elizabeth23

First, if you want to transfer data only and not xp, then all you have to do is copy the data to the drive, for example in win 7 with the external drive connected and visible to win7, copy the data from the external to the drive you have partitioned for it.

============

if you have reinstalled xp on a drive you can still get updates and your drivers, I have given you the dell page to obtain drivers, microsoft updates will still work as long as service pack 3 is installed (for 32bit, if you have 64 bit, then you only need up to service pack 2 for xp)

-----------

on a drive you can just delete any thing you want, on an xp install are a bunch of support tools and one is dupfinder, you can install and use to find duplicates:

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM in the drive.
    Double-click My Computer, right-click the CD-ROM drive, and then click Explore.
    Go to Support\Tools, and then double-click Setup.exe.
    When the Windows Support Wizard starts, click Next.
    Click I agree on the End User License Agreement.
    Type your name and organization and click Next.
    Click either the Typical or Complete installation type, and then click Next.
    Verify the installation location, and then click Install.

The Windows Support Tools are installed to the folder specified in step eight and a Windows Support Tools folder is added to the Program Files folder on the Start menu.

NOTE: A more comprehensive version of this document is located at Support\Tools\Readme.htm on the Windows XP CD-ROM.

above instructions from here

-------------------

Not sure what you want to do exactly at this time. since at first you wanted to dual boot and now you just want the data???

Elizabeth23, Dec 8, 2014
Ask a Question