Questions about hotfix.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by kurt2121, Nov 22, 2016.

1. kurt2121

kurt2121

Mine is here. Is this right?

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Updates

Can you guys educate me a bit on this thing. Apparently its not an essential file. What program did I download to obtain it? I know its a Microsoft file, so probably a Microsoft program. Any idea which one?

This site says that it should be on C:\, and if it is in WINDOWS or WINDOWS\system32 it may have been malware. Is that what happened here? http://www.file.net/process/hotfix.exe.html

Many articles say I should get rid of it. I've read that it can monitor applications and can act as a keylogger. Is it doing this by default? is this even correct? How would one use it for these purposes?

kurt2121, Nov 22, 2016
  2. kurt2121

tienkhoanguyen

Jesus Christ!

I don't know what the file is. I just know if you really enjoy xp like I do you'd keep it off the internet. Try to have 2 computers. One for your favourite system like xp. Then the other so you can surf the internet. If you get a computer make sure it has a system cd. For instance if you get a virus online you could always take out that xp cd and restore it. Just my 2 pennies that my family gave me when they passed!

tienkhoanguyen, Nov 22, 2016
  3. kurt2121

cornemuse

Search like this:

hotfix.exe what is it?

That "what is it?" added after your quiery helps, , , , a lot!

-c-

If one goes to "questionable" (to put it delicately), sites, use some flavor of linux, I use ubuntu.

cornemuse, Nov 22, 2016
  4. kurt2121

Elizabeth23

@kurt2121, mine is in the same place and I do not have malware, so it is a false positive from your antivirus.

.net is installed with sp2 I believe but updates can be installed from Microsoft updates.

https://www.virustotal.com/

if you are not sure of a file go to above site and let them scan it. :)

the file is fine

Elizabeth23, Nov 22, 2016
  5. kurt2121

kurt2121

Oh good!

I have searched around quite a bit, and alot of sites say this file has keylogging capabilities, regardless if it is a virus or not. Do you think there is a file on the system that has its keylogging data somewhere?

kurt2121, Nov 22, 2016
  6. kurt2121

Elizabeth23

if you run malwarebytes free and a scan from your antivirus, and they come out clean then I would say no.

Eset also has an online scanner you can run for free, do not know if they are still scanning xp., but you can check, if you are still unsure after the other two scans, what is your antivirus anyway, there are not many left that are still working on xp, I use 360 Total Security essentials from Qihoo and it likes to find the native assembly folder of .net as suspicious, but it always comes back clean.

Elizabeth23, Nov 22, 2016
  7. kurt2121

kurt2121

Oops, I wasn't very clear earlier. Nothing I had (AVG, malwarebytes) ever picked this up as a threat. I just read some stuff that this application could "monitor applications and had keylogging ability" from the file.net description, so it freaked me out that maybe there is a file with a bunch of my keystrokes and such somewhere on my system, from this legit application.

I guess I'm just wondering whether the legit program is doing this without me even noticing, or if it even can key log.

kurt2121, Nov 23, 2016
  8. kurt2121

Elizabeth23

file net and sites like that will tell you of the things a bad file COULD do but it does not necessarily mean the your file is doing that.

My opinion, you do not have a thread. :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 23, 2016
Ask a Question