Question about uninstalling programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by kurt2121, Jun 30, 2017.

1. kurt2121

kurt2121

When a program is uninstalled, usually all the files in the "Program Files" folder will be deleted.

Many different programs will create folders somewhere within the Documents and Settings folder as well, usually with the individuals usage of said program. My question is are these normally deleted as well when you uninstall the specific program?

kurt2121, Jun 30, 2017
  2. kurt2121

Elizabeth23

maybe yes, maybe no, when I uninstall a program, after a reboot I use search, (with all hidden files , unhidden in Folder Options) for the name of the program, when the list has been populated in the right pane (I use search companion :) ), you can then right click an entry and there is an option to open containing folder, and then you can delete that particular folder.

Revo uninstaller can do this, but you must be very sure that each entry you check to remove does indeed pertain to the particular removed program.

I also do a search in the registry with the find/find next option, but you must be very, very careful in the registry to ensure the entry you are going to delete is the one you want to delete, always back up the registry first, I use ERUNT which creates a registry backup at each reboot.

NOTE: when you do your search make sure that you have the right name of the program for example 360 TotalSecurity might be 360 Safe, or you could just search for 360.

Elizabeth23, Jun 30, 2017
Ask a Question