product & backup plan query.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by smallhagrid, Sep 14, 2013.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid

This is a query is about backing up XP.

I am presently recovering from a h/w failure and had to install a 2nd box which was already operable, but not complete.

The previous box had XP and for backup on that I used Faststone Driveclone 5 (despite it's age and limitations) and it worked very acceptably for all desired features; both for images and snapshots on & off the PC's HDD.

Now that it is time to re-install I am taking another look at what seems as good.

These are the ones I am considering:

Driveclone 5 (again);
    Keriver 1-Click;
    FirstDefense-ISR (yes, I still have it...);
    Drive Snapshot;
    ShadowProtect.

My goals in this effort:

To have a full image backup on a separate HDD as well as a fully cloned system kept on standby in case of HDD failure.

Snapshots kept on the in-use HDD (but hidden) for use in the event that roll-back is needed for any reason.

At least one pre-boot option to restore snapshots.

The ability to use alternate boot media to restore fully if needed.

There is only one serious complication=>
    Besides the NTFS system partition it also has a FAT16 partition with a minimal OS as well as BartPE as a boot option.
    (This PC does not have Linux on it.)

As a result of the multi-booting scenario I have ruled out the following:
    EAZ-FIX;
    Lazesoft products;
    Comodo Time Machine.

I did consider the new AX64 and a few others (Acronis, Paragon, etc...) but found that those already mentioned are closest in features and are either ones I already have or consider affordable.

Using them in tandem is also a consideration.

I seek opinions as well as suggestions for which of these things coexist well together based upon actual experiences from fellow XP users here.

Thanks !!!

smallhagrid, Sep 14, 2013
  2. smallhagrid

Elizabeth23

The only one I would consider is Acronis True Image, this is recommended more often by knowledgeable contributors.

Elizabeth23, Sep 14, 2013
Ask a Question