product & backup plan query.

This is a query is about backing up XP.

I am presently recovering from a h/w failure and had to install a 2nd box which was already operable, but not complete.

The previous box had XP and for backup on that I used Faststone Driveclone 5 (despite it's age and limitations) and it worked very acceptably for all desired features; both for images and snapshots on & off the PC's HDD.

Now that it is time to re-install I am taking another look at what seems as good.

These are the ones I am considering:

Driveclone 5 (again);
Keriver 1-Click;
FirstDefense-ISR (yes, I still have it...);
Drive Snapshot;
ShadowProtect.

My goals in this effort:

To have a full image backup on a separate HDD as well as a fully cloned system kept on standby in case of HDD failure.

Snapshots kept on the in-use HDD (but hidden) for use in the event that roll-back is needed for any reason.

At least one pre-boot option to restore snapshots.

The ability to use alternate boot media to restore fully if needed.

There is only one serious complication=>
Besides the NTFS system partition it also has a FAT16 partition with a minimal OS as well as BartPE as a boot option.
(This PC does not have Linux on it.)

As a result of the multi-booting scenario I have ruled out the following:
EAZ-FIX;
Lazesoft products;
Comodo Time Machine.

I did consider the new AX64 and a few others (Acronis, Paragon, etc...) but found that those already mentioned are closest in features and are either ones I already have or consider affordable.

Using them in tandem is also a consideration.

I seek opinions as well as suggestions for which of these things coexist well together based upon actual experiences from fellow XP users here.

Thanks !!!

Back