Problems with Hibernation and scheduled wake-up

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Rhino Cracker, May 19, 2015.

1. Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

This is my first post in here, so HI EVERYONE !!! :)

Since I've built my PC in 2009, I've been messing around with 2 problems related to hibernation and scheduled wake-ups.

Maybe at first I have to describe how I use this features.
    I usually use MyTheatre in the evening to watch TV and turn my pc off into hibernation using its sleep timer function. In the moning then it automatically wakes up, starts mytheatre (to keep my screen turned on, because the screen turning off means the speakers turning off because of my master-slave-powerboard, but also to watch some news), later starts winamp to playback some radio on my second speakers in the bathroom.
    This perfectly worked for my older nearly similar configured pc but SOMETIMES (every third or 10th time) doesn't work on my "new" one (the one from 2009).

And these are the 2 problems occuring:

1. Power-Off abortion: Sometimes (very seldom) my pc doesn't power off after it finished the write-ram-to-disk-process (I didn't manage to watch its hibernation process yet, it's just what I guess, I just can see the result). The screen goes off, the blink-on-kbd-hit-led of my wireless beyboard reacts like I got a cpu freeze and the powersupply and its fans keep running (I didn't take a look at the other fans yet, but I think they are still running). In this state, the reset button got no effect, I just can press the power button for 5 seconds to hard-power it off and start it again - usual boot, no wake-up from hibernation.
    This behaviour is very seldom. I didn't manage to "trigger" it for further analyzation. This means: Using MyTheatre to hibernate now, using start --> shut down --> hibernate, using the command including pwrprof.dll or using psshutdown.exe -h usually doesn't end in this unwanted state. Also the sleeptimer of MyTheatre usually doesn't end like this - just sometimes when I don't watch it... :)

2. Schedules task wakes up PC but won't get executed: This porblem occurs very often but randomly on my PC. The scheduled task waking up my PC is set to start MyTheatre. In ~50% it does start, in ~50% it doesn't.
    This is not SUCH a big problem for my alarm procedure, because I just can set a second task defenitly starting MyTheatre. But it is a problem for every scheduled recording. I would have to set a wake-up-timer approximately 5 minutes before every recording, which is pretty annoying.
    Yes, I could write a script permanently scanning for scheduled tasks and setting the corresponding wake-up-tasks 5 minutes before. But besides this would be a work I don't completely know how to complete, I'd rather like to find out under which circumstances my XP executes the tasks and under which it doesn't.

Maybe these are some informations you need about my PC:
    - MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H 790GB 5200MT/s AM2+ ATX
    - Powersupply: at first ATX Inter-Tech FP 750 Watt, later one form Xilence (so it doesn't be related to this).
    - RAM: Kingston HyperX DIMM 8 GB DDR2-800 Quad Kit (2,75GB + 256MB Gvaotte Ram Disk used by XP)
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition

I'm very glad to see a XP support forum still working. I've found this using google and searching for "XP support forum". ^^
    I've already tried to get help in some other forum - but in there nearly every question about XP ends in a shitstorm against this system and the user still using it which overwhelms the thread and makes getting answeres nearly impossible.
    So I hope to get some useful help about my hibernation problems in here. :)

Best regards,
    Rhino

Rhino Cracker, May 19, 2015
  2. Rhino Cracker

Elizabeth23

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...Before=&threadType=Questions&tm=1387617427576

above is the microsoft answers forum, Andrew E, Lem P, Elder K, XP Rocks, and Tricky 300 are some of the best people for xp and they are still answering questions.

I cannot help much because I do not use hibernate and have it disabled. My pc stays on 24/7.

There are a couple of people here, who may be able to help you with this issue,

================

1. this issue could be due to overheating,

2. when a pc does not due what you told it to, it could also be a sign of an infection, what is your current antivirus??

3. this issue could also be caused by something countermanding your commands, some antivirus's will do this, and the network adaptor has some advanced options on wake on lan, that may interfere with this.

==========

if you ever get a solution please post here so others may be assisted. :) thanks

Elizabeth23, May 20, 2015
  3. Rhino Cracker

Rhino Cracker

Thanks alot. I've posted my question at the microsoft answers forum you suggested.

@overheating: Usually my pc is bored by displaying TV. This means 5% cpu usage and 10% gpu usage (I'm using old and stable decoders compatible with ati hardware acceleration/gpu assisted decoding). The PC doesn't overheat during video encoding or playing games that use ~100% cpu and gpu. So I would exclude any overheating problems during "shutdown".
    There could be a heat problem before the bios initializes the smart fan control (when the fans are running on 100% or performing their free-run-test) - maybe it uses 100% of 4 cores during initialization. But the problem of powering off occurs after "shutdown", not during start (it's running in this semi-powered-off state for hours until I press power for 5 seconds).

Maybe the first problem could be something for my motherboard manufacturer.^^

Currently I don't have a real antivirus installed. I was using norton until 2010, but since 2005 when it found its last real virus infection, it just kept destroying installation files and isos because of false alters and informed me about my browser cache (when you visit a site and it starts a download dialog, opera starts this downloa din background writing it to a temp file until you enter a path to save it - then it copies the content from the temp file to the file you entered. I used to visit some site trying to make you download some stuff norton didn't like - but as long as i didn't execute this file or just cancelled the download, there was no risk of getting infected in this way.)
    So I removed norton from my harddisk after the latest bought update-period ended.
    But from time to time I'm scanning with MBAM(Malwarebytes) or Security Essentials when I've booted my second OS - Win 7 - with 0 results.
    I can never deny that my system is clean for 100%, but the problem exists for very long now (since I remember the installation) and nothing has been detected so far.

In fact I have something hardly interfering with the execution of tasks. I'm using kerio personal firewall which has the option to harm a program from executing other programs.
    It should be configured to allow any execution started by my explorer. In the case of schedules tasks svchost is the executor and any executions by this task are permitted.
    But I cannot completely deny that there may be some problems a few seconds after wake-up from hibernation.
    I could uninstall kerio for testing, but I would have to do it for days/weeks because it's nearly impossible to trigger the problem. ^^

When I find a solution, I will defenitly post it in here - just in case of anyone messing around with the same problem and finding this thread. :)

Rhino Cracker, May 20, 2015
  4. Rhino Cracker

Elizabeth23

okay, will follow the thread in microsoft also. :)

Elizabeth23, May 20, 2015
  5. Rhino Cracker

Elizabeth23

Well, I see that your question has received several views, but no replies yet, over at microsoft, all I can say is hang in there maybe someone will be able to help.

Elizabeth23, May 24, 2015
Ask a Question