Problems since MS stopped support of XP....

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by wmn, May 2, 2014.

1. wmn

wmn

Attempting to log-on to Windows I get, 1) "Enter current Password". I do that, it is accepted, then, "to Begin click your User name".
    The problem is there IS NO USER name shown. I cannot get to control panel, to even REFORMAT with the XP cd. The logon never completes.
    What is up?:confused:

wmn, May 2, 2014
  2. wmn

Jojo

This place, sadly, doesn't seem very active.

The easiest way since you obviously have access to a working machine, is to download a copy of Hirens Boot CD, burn it to a cd and use that as a live OS to fix your problems.

I have tried to post some url links but I'm not allowed to yet.

Enter Hirens Boot CD in Google and download the file. Burn it to a CD.

Before you start do a youtube search for videos on removing the admin password using hiren's Boot CD. There are loads on the Hirens and this subject.

Try this as a search
    Hiren's really is an essential piece of kit.

Needless to say, make sure you know exactly what you're doing before you start. And Good Luck

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    Jojo, May 2, 2014
  3. wmn

Elizabeth23

Courtesy of Jose Ibarra
    Make yourself a Hiren's Boot CD which you can download from here:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

The ZIP file is large, so the download will probably take a little while to complete bit it is worth it. Then unzip the download to extract the Hirens.BootCD.ISO file that will be used to create your new bootable CD.

Creating a bootable CD from a .ISO file is not the same as just copying the .ISO file to a blank CD. You have to use software that understands how to burn a .ISO file to a CD to create a bootable CD.

In the Hiren's ZIP file are the BurnToCD.cmd file that you can double click to launch it, but I have never used it and prefer to use ImgBurn.

If you need a free and easy CD burning software package, here is a popular free program:

http://www.imgburn.com/

When installing ImgBurn, DO NOT install anything from UniBlue or the Ask toolbar (never install the ASK toolbar for anything).

Here are some instructions for ImgBurn:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

It would be a good idea to test your new bootable CD on a computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk.

These adjustments are made before Windows tries to load. If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When booting on the Hiren's CD you will see a menu of options. Choose the Mini XP option. Then it will appear that Windows is being loaded and you will be presented with a desktop that has the look and feel of the Windows Explorer interface you are already used to using.

One way to check the disk for errors is to open My Computer and right click your afflicted drive and choose Properties, Tools, Error-checking, Check Now... put a check mark in both the boxes and then Start.

Sometimes that doesn't work, so you can also click Start, Run and in the box enter:

cmd

Click OK to open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command (assuming XP is installed on your C drive)

chkdsk c: /r

This disk checking can take a long time (perhaps several to many hours) depending on the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume and what the disk checking finds to do.
    Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find.

Depending on the the speed of your system, the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume and what chkdsk finds to do, it may take a long time for chkdsk with error correction to complete (several to many hours) or it may appear to be 'stuck'. Be patient. If the HDD light is still flashing, chkdsk is doing something so don't interrupt it. It will finish eventually one way or the other. Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress. It may even appear to go backwards sometimes.

You may have to run the chkdsk c: /r more than once.

Elizabeth23, May 2, 2014
  4. wmn

Jojo

Good to hear from another Hiren's user. :)

Jojo, May 3, 2014
  5. wmn

WMN1

According to the manual on the format of Windows XP, I must be able to re-log on to my existing version 0f X.P.. What if I cannot do this?

HEREIN LIES THE RUB... Since I can only access the Bios after putting in my password, I still cannot complete a boot. Therefore I cannot complete a boot from the HD, CD, or floppy without a name to go with a password. I have three computers, an XP pro Dell, an AsRock w/XP home and a Win7 laptop Compaq. I have a fair amount of experiance with Windows, from the onset of 95 through all the versions of the Windows OS's. This has got me stumped. I'm pretty sure this is the last of MS for me, Never even had a virus until MS cut the support of XP. I have repaired a few and built two from scratch. Assuredly, I am not expert though.
    I have changed my boot process to all combos, yet, all return to , "to Begin click your User name"! The problem is there IS NO USER name shown.", so there is no name to click on.

I am 78 years old but not stupid or uninformed. I asked for assistance and evidently the replies (so far) do not understand. If I cannot boot to my HD, CD, Floppy, but only to the Bios, How the heck can I format XP? I have already removed the Battery for a minute or two ( as per another suggestion), and still the same problem. BTW, The HD, CD, Floppy are all recognized, but unavalable!

Delivery to the following recipient (XP forums) failed permanently:

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain xp forums.com by mail.xp forums.com. [50.22.235.65]. The error that the other server returned was: 5 50 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable or not local

WMN1, May 3, 2014
  6. wmn

Jojo

Sorry WMN I didn't realise the problem was with your BIOS password.
    There are means of bypassing the BIOS password. I confess I have never used one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aslVZsiYdw

Or I may be mistaken, are you assuming that you can only access the BIOS from Windows?

If so, that is not correct. The BIOS is accessed by repeatedly pressing a key, on my computer it is DEL, as soon as you switch on. Keep pressing till the screen says you are entering BIOS or startup.

Once in your BIOS, the actuasl method of changing your start up sequence varies upon which BIOS you use.

Mine is Phoenix for example. Like most, I need to select the appropriate page and scroll down to the BOOT priority list. Set the DC/DVD to first.

Though before you do anything, you should try loading from a CD/DVD since most BIOS are already set to BOOT from CD/DVD drives first.

If that is not clear please get back to us.

Addition.

Another option that `may be a bit silly, since you have never seemed to be stupid or illinformed. Have you tried, when asked to click a name, simply pressing ENTER?
    Your descriptions are not very clear, but your most recent suggests you may simply have the computer set to ask.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Jojo, May 3, 2014
  7. wmn

Elizabeth23

If you did not put a password on your BIOS did then someone else did, did you take it to a shop??

If it came with a bios password from the manufacturer, then you will have to go to that manufacturers customer support to get the password

there are 3rd party programs that will help break a password, but I believe it is not legal and the programs are probably full of malware

what is the make, model, and model number of the pc you need the bios password for and I will see if I can find a number for you.

were you ever able to enter the bios before this time??

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Elizabeth23, May 3, 2014
  8. wmn

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, May 4, 2014
Ask a Question