Problem running backup as user

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Himself, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Himself

Himself

Hey everybody,

I have the following setup:
    -a server running on Ubuntu which is providing a network storage via Samba (user security)
    -several Windows PCs which should back up their data on the network storage of the server
    -all devices are in the same network
    -used backup program is PersonalBackup

How i want it to work:
    -Windows computers run a backup of a certain folder automaticaly once a day (this runs via Windows tasks using admin credentials)
    -users must not have administrative rights but should be able to back data up on demand (anytime they want)
    -in both cases the program uses the same login credentials for the server, which is neither identical to the admin user nor the usernames

The problem:
    -everything is fine for Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems except for Win XP
    -in Win XP i can not run a backup on demand while loggged in on a user account (network access failed, pinging the server via cmd works)
    -if i use the admin account for my backup on demand it works without any errors
    -also tried several things with the firewall (disable/enable, with/without exceptions for Personalbackup) nothing works

Do you have an idea?

Kind Regards,
    Leonard.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Himself, Oct 13, 2016
  2. Himself

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 13, 2016
  3. Himself

Himself

Since I am able to run it under Win7 and Win8, both as admin and as user, I dont think its a bug of the software. I mean, I can run it under XP as admin, but not as user.
    For further validation I tried to run a backup on demand as user to a local directory, which worked. So this should be a Windows problem which is not allowing my program to connect to the network drive.

Himself, Oct 13, 2016
  4. Himself

Elizabeth23

at the website , I read that you must be logged in as administrator to run the program???

Elizabeth23, Oct 13, 2016
  5. Himself

Himself

This is only a requirement to run Volume Shadow Copys (VSS). And as I said I can run it as user under Win7 and Win8....

Himself, Oct 14, 2016
  6. Himself

Elizabeth23

above from here, but I am not sure of this as I do not run a backup program and I am not on a network, :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 14, 2016
Ask a Question