Privacy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by priscus, Jun 12, 2016.

1. priscus

priscus

I have observed that every time that I use either Opera, Chrome or Firefox, it dumps between 40 and 760 adware tracking cookies on my system, and occasionally the potentially more serious Yontoo PUP. (The latter, in spite of me having Malware Bytes and Avast running!)

Do not know if they originate with browsers, or sites visited. The latter only consist of Amazon, Ebay, Google searches and browsing of found documents, and forums such as this one.

I realise that these services obtain their funds from suchlike, but the sheer volume of these does appear to be rather excessive: is such a volume of dumped adware the norm? Would be interested to hear if others receive similar quantity.

This is not confined to one machine, nor even to one operating system.

Find I am now running an adware scan after EVERY session of using internet!

Questioning whether I would benefit from using TOR browser instead?

Can anyone advise me concerning TOR?

priscus, Jun 12, 2016
  2. priscus

Touko White

Tor Browser is useless most of the time because of websites that require you to fill out a Jewgle captcha, Google deliberately coded it so that it fails to load correctly on Tor, making you unable to sign up in so many websites and stuff.

That's every site that uses cloudflare and blocks Tor nodes, loads of forums and other things. Half the internet seems to be using CloudFail... I mean that in itself is a privacy hell, and requires JS/Cookies to actually work.

So many sites implement Google Analytics and Google Ads, they try to get as much info as possible.

Touko White, Jun 12, 2016
  3. priscus

priscus

I just tried to download 'Spyware Blaster': did not download, though in its place, I acquired a few hundred items of adware!

I live where a monopoly provider of broadband yields what has been described as the worst broadband in THE WORLD. Such huge volumes of adware, I think are exhausting the capacity, and producing time out before required download begins.

The only real solution, I know, is to move.

All my long term friends already have done so: I live in the only city in the UK which has a falling population!

I would do so too, but my health is not up to coping with a move.

priscus, Jun 13, 2016
  4. priscus

trimis

I would not use any version of Opera with the proxy component, but if you must:

https://www.howtogeek.com/104263/how-to-optimize-opera-for-maximum-privacy/

In the four or so months I have been online, I've been all over the internet every day, usually at least five hours a day (double that when I'm in the mood to watch TV shows), plus downloaded maybe twenty apps. Bottom line: I ended up with four PUPs, which Malwarebytes Free, Adwcleaner, and Junkware Removal Tool quickly dispatched. I would think if you are getting that much hassle you should rethink your security and privacy measures in depth.

As for TOR browser, it would not download properly for me, so I am awaiting my tech guy to install it. There is a way to use it without dealing with the extreme slowness, by melding it to a VPN instead of the TOR network:

https://restoreprivacy.com/privacy-tools/

The most important stuff to stay safe are:
    1.Router with SPI & NAT enabled. A hardware firewall is your first line of defense.
    2.Software firewall. This backs up the hardware firewall.
    3.Antivirus. One that works in conjunction with Malwarebytes Free.
    4.All browsers properly configured, and with the right add-ons.
    5.Windows XP properly configured (i.e. SeconfigXP, XPY, or XP-Antispy).
    These are the basics, but there is lots of room for improvement.

trimis, Jan 23, 2018
    jim davis likes this.
  5. priscus

jim davis

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    jim davis, May 9, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  6. priscus

jim davis

Hi Priscus, I just read else where here your not well and not visiting here as often,
    hope things are better for you, and ha ha I would try a more up lifting avatar,,,,,,,,for all of our uplift and yours

You can get a satellite net service i am told, but i may be wrong.
    I know nothing about it, sorry.

I am just gonna get off the net, too dam harsh for my softy heart., I mostly now just want the old movies, other wise I know what is gonna on out there, they have by the many forgot what is nice about being human. all this collected madness into my very beautiful private space can't go much longer, I got birds, books, cats, friends :D
    take care of your self, truly

Dr. Davis

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    jim davis, May 9, 2018
  7. priscus

trimis

trimis, May 11, 2018
  8. priscus

trimis

Spyware Blaster is available from majorgeeks.com. Also from techspot.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and softpedia.com. All should be safe to download from, but things change, so prior to downloading, always run the site by urlvoid.com, and then check the software itself: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/30508/make-sure-downloads-are-safe-before-downloading-them/

trimis, May 11, 2018
Ask a Question