Printer Software %^(@#!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by cornemuse, Nov 30, 2021.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

This computer continually refuses to accept that printer software has been installed. XP Pro 32 SP3. Printer is Samsung 2070 series, XP software from the CD. Works flawlessly on other XP pro 32 & 64, & Mint Mate comps.

I share it with the other computers via USB. Whenever I plug it into this comp, I get the dialog box "new hardware wizard".
    I always 'cancel' as I have re-installed software several times, and it dosent seem to take. After cancelling, printer prints just fine.
    Its just very annoying to have to 'cancel' everytime I want to print anything.

Click 'print', doc, image, it shows my specific printer as to which printer to use. (the only printer listed!)

Happens every time with only this computer. Very annoying! (for a few years now!)

Any ideas??

-corne-

cornemuse, Nov 30, 2021
  2. cornemuse

Compa

I can't remember how to do it, but there's a way to list 'previously connected' devices in devmgmt.msc by typing an additional parameter.

Maybe try removing those (while the printer is disconnected), uninstall entirely the software (including anything referencing it in regedit and wherever else it may have left things), then attempt to do a manual install?

Also, purge the driver files using devmgmt when removing the final entry for the printer, so it can install a fresh copy of them.

Dunno if this will work, it's a haphazard guess and printers are honestly just annoyances. Might, though, you never know.

Compa, Nov 30, 2021
  3. cornemuse

TMTGTR

I was in the middle of suggesting same when this posted. From my experience (and not with printers) about 3~4 times, I found that re-installs/uninstall-reinstalls did not work until I "hand removed" every identifiable file/reg entry/ini/directory related to the program or driver etc. Then the re-install "Took".

TMTGTR, Nov 30, 2021
  4. cornemuse

Compa

Sometimes I've also found installing via devmgmt rather than a software's installer (tip: these are sometimes extractable via 7-Zip or WinRAR!), when the inf file is provided in the directory somewhere, is far easier and comes with much less bloat.

It's just easier to let the native OS interface do the functions rather than lend it to a third party piece of software that often does it worse anyway and/or is just a fancy UI for the native internals anyway.

Compa, Nov 30, 2021
    TMTGTR likes this.
  5. cornemuse

TMTGTR

Yep, agreed.

TMTGTR, Nov 30, 2021
Ask a Question