Prefered Replacement for Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by cornemuse, Nov 6, 2018.

1. cornemuse

WindowsXPforever

Tobin isnt at MSFN.Hes at Palemoon forums

WindowsXPforever, Dec 3, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. cornemuse

cmccaff1

I see.

So if Tobin has a problem with what roytam1 is doing, then he's going to have to confront him directly.

How do you know that Tobin is opposed to any of his projects being forked for Vista or XP?

cmccaff1, Dec 3, 2018
  3. cornemuse

WindowsXPforever

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20887

cmccaff1 likes this.
  4. cornemuse

cmccaff1

Sour grapes. His projects are built upon open-source code, which means that ANYONE can do ANYTHING with them that they wish.

If Tobin wants the problem to be solved, he's going to have to update or rewrite the source code in such a way that it will only work on Windows 8 or later (essentially rendering it un-forkable for XP).

cmccaff1, Dec 3, 2018
  5. cornemuse

WindowsXPforever

They wont switch codes since they are building of firefox 28 source code as of now ti will take -5,10 years maybe to get to firefox 52 :p i think

cmccaff1 likes this.
  6. cornemuse

cmccaff1

Then he can complain all he wants--if he's not willing to reach out to roytam1 and ask him to cease and desist, he has no place to get angry!

cmccaff1, Dec 3, 2018
  7. cornemuse

EdT

If you're still using XP why do you want to use something else other than O-E ? In fact I am trying to find a version of O-E or MSO that will work with Win7 which only exist in the MS Office20XX suites.

EdT, Dec 5, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  8. cornemuse

cornemuse

I use O-E 'cause it comes with XP. Simple & serves my needs. (ie, open it & 'CTRL-M', mail d/l'd from server--I do not want it to automatically check & D/L mail) It is now getting 'quirky', have to copy shortcuts & paste to broswer "View online rather than view as mail on some emails, annoying)

This is what I mean by replacing O-E. Not Gmail. Not Hotmail. Not anything online.

I experiment with various OS's. If I check my (for junk & deleting it) gmail account with linux mint mate for instance, (ubuntu too!), I get a message from gmail that 'Oh!! someone has accessed your acct with a different OS!!' Once I was required to change my password over this. About every other time I access it, they want me to give me a phone # "For your security" (got it prior to when ph #'s were required) screw 'em!!

End vent

-c-

cornemuse, Dec 5, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. cornemuse

EdT

Oh that is simple solution, no need in replacing O-E simply install a program called MailWasher or MailWasher Pro. My routine is to open MailWasher first to check the content at the mail server and check which email you want to delete or process which will automatically open and forward to O-E.

EdT, Dec 5, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  10. cornemuse

Jody Thornton

Yes Tobin does seem to have a strong aversion to XP users. I also think XP rightly belongs in a graveyard, but I won't hinder others from using it, and I also think what Roytam1 has done is amazing?

Jody Thornton, Dec 6, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  11. cornemuse

Jody Thornton

Where did you hear this from?

Jody Thornton, Dec 6, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  12. cornemuse

cmccaff1

I'm not going to confine XP to the digital graveyard just yet...even in December 2018 it is still PERFECTLY usable for all of my needs. I agree with you that Roytam1 is one of the unsung heroes when it comes to Windows XP, and I'm rooting for him with all of his projects.

cmccaff1, Dec 6, 2018
    WindowsXPforever likes this.
  13. cornemuse

jjndig

Jeyneko is me, if anyone can't tell from my current profile image.

Has anyone tested POSReady's KB4019276 + 2018-05+ IE8 Cumulative Update with Outlook 2002 and TLS 1.1+? Outlook 2002 is a very decent email client that obviously would remind of OE, but like every version of Outlook it relies on the crypto functions of Windows/IE, so would be a little bit useless on a system without those two patches and the registry entries for OSVersion in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\CRYPTO\TLS1.1/TLS1.2 removed...

Either way, the HTTPS proxy available at MSFN would work for ECCs and/or if it's not work.

jjndig, Dec 16, 2018
    WindowsXPforever and cmccaff1 like this.
  14. cornemuse

WindowsXPforever

The tls 1.2 and ie8 update did solve my outlook.com problem that prevented me from setting my hotmail account on outlook express

WindowsXPforever, Dec 16, 2018
    cmccaff1 and jjndig like this.
Ask a Question