Portable external HD shown as local disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Techno_challenged, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Techno_challenged

Techno_challenged

Hi!

I have been using my 1TB Seagate portable external drive to save a copy of all my stuff onto for a few months with no problems. I usually leave it plugged into one of the USB ports at the back of my pc and only unplug it when I work off site.

A few days ago, I booted up and saw that the portable is now recognised as an extra Local Disk (ie. apart from my C:) according to My Computer. When I try to go into the drive, a box comes up saying that the drive has not been formatted, do I want to format it now?

I cant even right click on the drive to check properties, it just makes a little hour glass and disappears like I never clicked in the first place.

I have tried plugging it into different ports (even one in the front), I've tried booting first and then plugging it in, I've tried leaving it for a while, I've also gone into device manager and it says it working properly and there is no update for the driver.

The light is on, and it flashes occasionally, and I can safely remove it, but that's about it.

I use Windows XP, version 2002, Service pack 2

I REALLY don't want to format it, so any advice on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated!!

Techno_challenged, Jun 18, 2012
  2. Techno_challenged

Frankie

Try an update to SP3 for Windows XP and try, it should work fine! :)

Frankie, Sep 12, 2012
Ask a Question