Poll: are you a programmer?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Computer semi-expert, Oct 30, 2019.

?

Are you a programmer?

1. Yes

46.2%
  2. No

53.8%
  1. Computer semi-expert

priscus

Had to learn the original Dartmouth BASIC when I was an undergraduate.

NEVER, EVER, used it for anything!

Even though My dissertation required complex data analysis, it was performed using an off the shelf package: ESP (Econometric Software Package) And later when I revisited the field, using GLIM (General Linear Interactions Manipulator) Never hear of either of those any more!

One of my machines, for some reason or other, has Microsoft Visual BASIC loaded. Not used that either, though having given it a glance, I did feel that it would be a whole lot easier to use Dartmouth, even through 50 years ago since I last saw it!

priscus, Nov 6, 2019
  2. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

C++ forever!

Computer semi-expert, Nov 6, 2019
  3. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

I've played around with VB a bit. I could learn it if I wanted to, but it feels like a waste of time if I already know C++ and MFC.

Computer semi-expert, Nov 6, 2019
  4. Computer semi-expert

priscus

I have an interesting book, titled "Foundations of Programming". It takes fundamental elements, such as iteration (and, necessarily, the condition which terminates it) and examines how it has been implemented in various programming languages, both high and low level. For example deep comparison of Do-While with Do-until: considerations of the distinction of 'exception contained within the loop', and it being located outside of the loop. An obvious source of error if undisciplined thinking should prevail.

I still retain an interest in this stuff, albeit rather abstract/academic.

When it comes to specific coding languages -

Unless it is something which I will actually use, it is something I would not retain, and would find myself amassing more out-of-date knowledge. I guess that at some time in the future, I will find myself rapidly studying Python, or C++, or something similar when I am needing use of the stuff. Although, I am getting on a bit, so maybe not!

priscus, Nov 7, 2019
  5. Computer semi-expert

priscus

priscus, Nov 7, 2019
  6. Computer semi-expert

Looping79

I'm not a programer. Am I still allowed here ? :p

Looping79, Nov 12, 2019
  7. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

Yes. I mean, uh, this is a Windows XP forum, not a programmers' forum.

Computer semi-expert, Nov 13, 2019
  8. Computer semi-expert

rebornjumpman

I'm not a programmer but I'm interested in learning Python and maybe Ruby or Rust.

rebornjumpman, May 4, 2020
  9. Computer semi-expert

priscus

When, way back in the 1960's, I was an undergraduate student, we got asked if there was anything we would like added to the curriculum. I suggested computer familiarisation.

So we got a weekly class. We were taught BASIC. This was the original Dartmouth Basic.

I did use a software package on the mainframe to analyse the data for my Finals project, but our endeavours with Dartmouth Basic were pencil and paper only: we were never allowed near the hardware.

Nevertheless, I found the BASIC class very interesting, and I suppose I have to admit this was my introduction to the art. However, in the following half Century, I have never, ever used BASIC.

priscus, Sep 2, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  10. Computer semi-expert

stvpls

nope;), how people program is like a mistery to me, all those codes and stuff to remember ahhh:eek::eek:

stvpls, Sep 26, 2020
Ask a Question