Please help me get internet acces back on XP !

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by swayzak, Dec 24, 2013.

1. swayzak

swayzak

Hi

I have Win XP SP3 on Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP m/board with Intel E8400 & 4 GB DDR 800.

Yesterday I used Windows Update (as usual) to download latest updates - both critical & optional).

Since then I can get no internet whatsoever ! All browsers just give non-connected screens.

The WiFi network icon appears to show full connection (including internet), but there is no real internet connection.

Ethernet is normally disabled on this machine (& I note that one of the hardware updates was an Ethernet driver).

I've tried repairing the connection but this doesn't help.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

swayzak, Dec 24, 2013
  2. swayzak

Elizabeth23

uninstall any driver you installed from microsoft updates, never install hardware updates from microsoft updates.

only install high priority and any rootkit updates listed under optional.

all other optional are your choice, the only ones I install are the .net and rootkit.

---------------------

then you will have to go to your manufacturers website and download the drivers for ethernet lan and wifi drivers.

you might be able to roll back to a previous driver, go to device manager, click on network adaptors and then double click on the driver tab

if you are not sure what drivers you need let me know the make, model and model number of your pc. and whether it is a desktop or a laptop

Elizabeth23, Dec 24, 2013
  3. swayzak

swayzak

Thanks.

Someone also suggested I try Winsock XP Fix 1.2. It cured the problem !!

swayzak, Dec 27, 2013
  4. swayzak

Elizabeth23

great !! :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 27, 2013
Ask a Question