PCI driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by DenverDaveWinXP, May 25, 2016.

1. DenverDaveWinXP

DenverDaveWinXP

I did a clean install on my Dell 1501 Inspiron - Win XP Home Edition - 32 bit.

When I looked under Device Manager the "Other Devices" had a yellow question mark and a list of 8 things (Base System, Ethernet, etc.) with yellow question marks.

I selected Properties > Details of each one and copied the number. A google search eventually found the file number I needed. I found the file number for all except the PCI driver.

I'm hitting a wall on finding the PCI driver file number. I have the original Dell CD with the drivers on it, so the one I need is surely there. Any ideas? the details number is:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4383&SUBSYS_01F51028&REV_00\3&2411E6FE&0&A2

Thanks for any help!

DenverDaveWinXP, May 25, 2016
  2. DenverDaveWinXP

Elizabeth23

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-1501/drivers

above is dell site to download drivers, if you input your express service number it will give drivers specific to your pc,

pci is a chipset driver

dell drivers must be installed in a certain order:
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN148687

above knowledge base will help, even if you have done them already reinstall in the correct order

==================

http://pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=4383&device_search.x=54&device_search.y=6

I thought it was a chipset but according to the site above it is an audio driver

====================

How To Find Drivers For An Unrecognized Device

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager)
    2. The hardware whose drivers are missing will appear as Unknown device, so it's easier to locate the device.
    3. Right click on the unknown device and click on Properties.
    4. Under the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down box.
    5. You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086
    &REV_01\4&1E46F438&0&40F0

6. The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 27DC

7. Once you have obtained both the IDs, proceed to

http://pcidatabase.com/

There you can either search for the vendor from the vendor ID or directly get information about the device along with the vendor name by searching with the device ID.

Elizabeth23, May 26, 2016
  3. DenverDaveWinXP

DenverDaveWinXP

Elizabeth, all those steps worked for 7 of the yellow question marks but not the PCI. However, I did solve it. The sound wasn't working so I went on line and found a driver that was recommended. After I downloaded and installed it the yellow question PCI disappeared but it was replaced by another yellow question mark (I can't remember the name). So I clicked on reinstall the driver for the new question mark and it worked! I came close to heaving the laptop into the dumpster but glad I solved it. It was just for listening to internet radio anyway.

DenverDaveWinXP, May 26, 2016
  4. DenverDaveWinXP

Elizabeth23

glad you solved your issue, :)

Elizabeth23, May 26, 2016
Ask a Question