PC connected but not net

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Igor Kramarsich, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Igor Kramarsich

Igor Kramarsich

Hello to all,
    friend have original problem with him old laptop not used for few years.
    It is an Acer Aspire one D250-1Bd with Windows XP Home Edition ULCPC Acer Incorporated

When I click to connect it to wifi all go without problem. But Internet Explorer or Outlook express simple not work. Write that not have connection.
    First I think about McAfee (old version and not updated) so I delete it. after disabled Firewall.

What I can addiotan do without format it?
    Problem is that he not have any kind of CD so looking for all driver will be complicated

Igor Kramarsich, Jan 29, 2018
  2. Igor Kramarsich

j896

I think you need to install another browser since ie dont work that well anymore on XP.

j896, Jan 30, 2018
  3. Igor Kramarsich

Elizabeth23

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.6.0esr/

go to above from a working pc and download either win32/ or win64/ depending on if your system is 64 or 32 bit. that is the latest release of firefox for xp and is the only browser still supporting xp.

you might also go to microsoft updates to insure that the system is uptodate and also install an antivirus, I use 360 Total Security Essential from HERE, you can download both from a working pc and then carry to the nonworking pc and install from your flash drive. you can download the full package which comes with bitdefender database and on the right side you can see a green box that will let you download the database and choose the avira database to download, this will give 360 all five engines to run its scans with, but if you do not have the ram (at least 1gb) you can run without the avira database.

Elizabeth23, Jan 30, 2018
    j896 likes this.
  4. Igor Kramarsich

Igor Kramarsich

Thanks for replay and suggestion.
    In meantime I made few progress.
    Problem seems to be google. Or better if I want to open google.com or made any kind of search I can't in Internet Explorer. But if I write any address it open it.
    After I install firefox and all work, google too. After try to install AVG, not give error. Then Avira go without problem. CCleaner clean all.
    Microsoft update not work. As it seems that this laptop was not update for years, first it install update software but after on IE give error that can't update. I have not no idea how to update it in some alternative way.
    And it's have 1GB so can work with Avira :)

Igor Kramarsich, Jan 31, 2018
  5. Igor Kramarsich

Elizabeth23

what service pack is installed?
    what system 32 bit or 64bit? if not sure, go to start/ right click on my computer/ choose properties/ on the general tab if you do not see 64 anywhere then you have 32bit.
    is IE8 installed?
    are cryptographic, background intelligence, and automatic updates services all set to automatic?

if microsoft updates fails to open, we can try PORT UP to get your machine updated,
    HERE is documentation

answer all above and get back to me

Elizabeth23, Jan 31, 2018
Ask a Question