Outlook Express Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by JTaylor, Mar 4, 2021.

1. JTaylor

JTaylor

When opening Outlook Express I'm getting an error message:

Outlook Startup.JPG

I've searched the web for solutions, found many but none have helped.

Thanks.

JTaylor, Mar 4, 2021
  2. JTaylor

Mr Siamese Cat

My Outlook Express stopped working in November 2019, (I pay for my Hotmail Account, as well). I would be very surprised and impressed if you have managed to use Outlook Express up until now. I had a 2 hour conversation about Hotmail and Outlook Express with people at Microsoft in late 2019 and they admit that it will no longer function. It was a rolling shutdown from 2018 onwards. IE less and less functionality.

You have a choice to use - latter versions of Outlook (I suggest 2010 onwards) You will of course need to pay for a “Premium Hotmail Account” unless you have held your Hotmail account since before 2000 to get “Grandfather Clause Rights”

Or some other email client. I moved over to Thunderbird 52.9.1 (32-bit). I found this easy enough to import all my emails into. However it lacks some of the functionality of Outlook.

I am sure other people may have suggestions as to which email client to use.

Mr Siamese Cat, Mar 4, 2021
  3. JTaylor

JTaylor

We do development on multiple versions of Windows from XP up through 10, and surprisingly there are still a number of people working with Outlook Express.

And while the error message pops up with every server connection, clicking Yes allows Outlook to work just fine. It has no issues sending or receiving mail it's just a bit of nuisance to always be clicking Yes when starting the program.

There is a lot of love for both XP and Outlook Express still floating around. I have many that use the program OE Classic on Windows 10 as it looks and feel a lot like the original Outlook.

JTaylor, Mar 4, 2021
  4. JTaylor

Mr Siamese Cat

OE Classic is not Outlook Express it is just one of many different Email Clients. It is a program that mimics Outlook Express, but has no connection to Microsoft. I looked at it briefly and then considered that there was probably not enough support, if I had problems with it.

https://www.oeclassic.com/

Perhaps if you upgraded to there latest version it might help.

OE Classic 3.2 (the latest Pro version) Feb 28th, 2021

https://www.oeclassic.com/news_n1

How much are they charging?

I couldn’t find any other help or information on it. Their own online help page looks pretty basic, which is probably why you are on this forum looking for help.

I guess I made the right choice going for Thunderbird, after checking out their website.

Let me know if you ever fix the problem.

5. JTaylor

Mr Siamese Cat

One thought that did occur to me. Was that - one very often gets this type of error message, when the Server clock is not in sync IE not set to the right date and time.

Could be your date and time on your server is not set right. Or the date and time within OEClassic for some reason is miss-syncing.

6. JTaylor

JTaylor

Yes OE Classic is a clone but it seems to work rather well and is capable of importing Outlook Express data.

OE Classic appears to be a one time charge of $24 US.

And thanks for the tip on the clock issue, found a couple of articles on that topic but unfortunately the date and time are both correct.

I have a feeling it's something to do the the OS install, everything was working, the computer's hard drive crashed and had to reload from backups. The system restore went without a hitch but Outlook been running into the error ever since.

Don't know if it's related but IE appears to be another victim of the restore as it can't connect to anything, it says can't display the current page or something to that affect. Tired upgrading IE from 6, to 7 then finally to 8 but none of them want to work. something screwy is going on.

JTaylor, Mar 4, 2021
  7. JTaylor

JTaylor

Oh I've Tried Thunderbird as well, like both. I like that Thunderbird is free and well so is OE Classic for a single account, you only need to pay if you have multiple mailboxes.

I've found the OE Classic is a bit more responsive and not completely sure but I think Thunderbird is cloud based where OE Classic runs and stores everything locally so you have to decided which works best for your needs.

JTaylor, Mar 4, 2021
  8. JTaylor

Mr Siamese Cat

Thunderbird is not “Cloud Based” I have over 20gigabytes of emails stretching back 20 years. I can confirm that the emails are stored locally.

Outlook Express uses DBX files

Thunderbird uses SBD files

Outlook uses PST files

I haven’t a clue what OEClassic uses.

I have it was an easy migration from Outlook Express to Thunderbird the same as it was an easy transition to Outlook.

The reason I went the Thunderbird route was that it enabled me to dump 20gigs of emails on my laptop when I was working away and can move them to any machine fast.

Ask a Question