Old XP Laptop does not save any progress!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Takeru, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Takeru

Takeru

Hello there! Before telling the problem I've been dealing with this period, I would also like to apologize for my lack of knowing all of the forum rules. I'm new around this forum, so I hope I haven't posted in the wrong section. If it did happen, I'm really sorry for that.

One of my neighbours asked me if I could clean up the things on his old laptop. I usually do this sort of stuff, so I couldn't believe it would become such a clumsy thing to do. It's about a Sony Vaio PCG-Z1XMP running a Windows XP Ultimate license. Can't really say it's a formidable laptop, at least not for our times. The main idea is that I tried to clean up the things around, update and install some other programs (Office, Adobe Reader, Gimp etc.) so that you could at least work a lil' bit with it. So after finishing all of my work I have restarted it and boom...there it happens. The laptop simply went to its normal state. I mean, everything I have installed, cleaned and added has simply vanished. So it's like someone has reverted all the progress to the first state. I couldn't believe my eyes, and even though I tried to search through the internet for this problem, I still haven't found any solution.
    So there is the question. The laptop is, indeed, old, but should I struggle to install a fresh copy of Windows XP, or is it a hardware problem, so any software modifications would be pointless? I hope I made my self 'understandable'. I'm looking forwared to hearing a response from you. Thank you!

Takeru, Mar 8, 2015
  2. Takeru

Elizabeth23

it would behoove you to install a fresh copy of xp, the issue is either due to malware and/or a virus, or the user account does not have permissions, if the user account has permissions, then it is definitely an infection. no hardware would perform like this, if it were a hardware problem, the laptop would not boot at all.

Elizabeth23, Mar 8, 2015
  3. Takeru

Takeru

Really-really glad to hear that :D! Well, then I'll just go for the fresh copy, hoping that nothing bad is going to happen. Thank you so much once again!

Takeru, Mar 10, 2015
  4. Takeru

Elizabeth23

you are welcome :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 10, 2015
Ask a Question