Office 2016 Professional on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Mr Siamese Cat, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Mr Siamese Cat

Mr Siamese Cat

Office 2016 Professional on Windows XP

I am looking to run Microsoft Office 2016 Professional on XP. I don’t have the Time/Programming/Hacking skill to adapt/spoof/hack Office 2016 Professional myself.

At present I run Office 2000 and 2007 installed directly on Win XP –

I also run Office 2010 and 2016 remotely through XP - installed on a Windows 7 workstation.

On all versions I use Ubit Schweiz AG menu’s – so this software has no problem working on all versions.

Although I find using the remote solution is as fast as local install and copy and paste to all programs on both machines is no problem – I prefer to not have 2 workstations.

I would consider payment for a complete solution.

I am aware of Crossover 17 on Wine, but this is for Linux. It would mean trying to run Linux on XP to run a native windows app.So far only found partition manager solutions - not running linux within XP. Even for this grossly convoluted solution.

I really don’t need advice, such as you cant run Office 2016 Professional on XP. If I wanted pointless advice from people that barely know what a computer is – I would ring Microsoft help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Mr Siamese Cat, Jan 22, 2020
  2. Mr Siamese Cat

XPLOVER420

Windows XP was support was dropped after office 2010, so 2013 or anything above will not work in XP.

XPLOVER420, Jan 31, 2020
  3. Mr Siamese Cat

Mike_Walsh

"If I wanted pointless advice from people that barely know what a computer is – I would ring Microsoft help." :eek::p:D:D

It's not a case of 'pointless' advice. Anyone with half a brain knows that a version of Office that new is simply not going to run on XP. And after using these boxes of black magic for almost 40 years, I think I have some idea of what a computer is by now....

Don't be so "cheeky". There's a LOT of people here that know exactly what they're talking about. :mad:

Give them SOME credit, fer Chrissake's.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Mike_Walsh, Jan 31, 2020
  4. Mr Siamese Cat

Mr Siamese Cat

Advice from the same man that doesn’t understand Pop 3 email and why everyone in industry uses it. The same man that regularly “Prunes” emails. In that idiotic reply you started it with “This isn't being 'funny', or 'taking the p***', or anything like that” Do you actual give any useful advice ever? Or just post insulting comments? To everyone.

Those black boxes in my case are Supermicro’s with dual multi- core processors. I run XP because of the thousands of pounds of legitimate licensed software that AutoDesk wants to charge thousand to upgrade to run on Windows 7.

About 6 years ago in my industry there was a big problem with Revit 2013, that refused to install on XP, so the industry would have to spend literally millions upgrading Architectural practice machines. Someone eventually worked out how to spoof Revit 2013 that it was installing on Windows 7.

Having talked to several people in the computing department at UMIST where I occasional lecture in Engineering for landfill infrastructure I am informed by people with PhD’s in computing, who lecture on the subject that it is probably nothing to do with the kernel, as Windows 7 is just a dreadful overlay on top of XP. It is simply a matter that the install software for Office 2016 checks to see what it is installing on.

However, because there are a very small number of people that want to run Office 2016 on XP it isn’t worth while spending time hacking, as this is costly programming time. This was indeed the answer I got when I rang CodeWeavers in St Paul the developers of CrossOver 19. That it could be done, as there was nothing intrinsically stopping it, but it would be very costly.

And that is why I will continue to run Office 2016 on my Windows XP system through a dedicated remote unless Computer semi-expert manages with considerable effort and dedication to develop his version of Wine for XP so allowing Office 2016 on the same machine.

However I am presuming that you are just very immature and have never worked in industry, which would explain the childlike over use of emoji’s.

Mr Siamese Cat, Feb 1, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  5. Mr Siamese Cat

Mike_Walsh

No, you're absolutely right. I don't understand the need to keep e-mails kicking around on your system from 20 years ago. To my way of thinking, anybody with the sense they were born with would have removed the email in question from the 'system' a long while back and made multiple archived copies of it, kept in secure locations, if it was THAT important. No need to leave it cluttering up your hard drives. Personally, I suffered a fair amount of data loss in the early days (35+ yrs back) due to faulty electronics, so I've developed a healthy distrust of their ability to keep anything REALLY important truly 'safe'. That's why I'd sooner have a hard, black & white copy of anything critical. It's not that I don't understand why industry chooses to use the protocol - on the contrary, I understand all too well - it's just not a method that I consider to be secure.

FWIW, I spent many years working in industry. However, it was neither desk-based work, nor was it an industry that required the use of computers. But I'll hazard a guess that you might find that hard to comprehend.... I'm also guessing that whatever I reply here, you'll probably dismiss as another load of rubbish anyway.

I WILL be honest, I don't understand the intricacies of modern, IT-based industry usage of these damn things. The one thing I can see is that everyone, globally, has become way too reliant on them..... If there was a planet-wide power-cut, we'd be f***ed, wouldn't we? Literally. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.

As for AutoDesk, and all these other firms producing 'industry-standard' software, it's just another way to milk the masses for every penny they can take 'em for. They are, after all, in a position to pretty much write their own cheques.

No, I've never had to had to earn my living in a way that is dependent on the use of computers. Something for which I'll be eternally grateful. I taught myself to use 'em back in the mid-70s (the Stone Age, as far as Millennials are concerned!) I was a very early adopter of Linux, because even then I could see which way the wind was blowing, and realised that a very few large companies would pretty much end up controlling 95% of the tech industry.....and as somebody who only ever used these things for leisure occupations, I was damned if I was going to have my use of them dictated by some faceless jerk round the other side of the world who would never have to face me.

But when all is said and done, I apologise if anything I've said to you has caused any offence. That was never my intention. As for the 'over-use' of emoji? Habit, unfortunately. Many of the fora I frequent, that's the level at which most of the membership communicates.....and I've always prided myself on being able to talk to anybody at their own 'level', regardless of the strata of society from whence they hail.

I've even been accused by the odd individual of having a style that's too chatty & 'folksy'.....as though that were a crime..! :rolleyes: No pleasing some people.

Mike.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Mike_Walsh, Feb 1, 2020
  6. Mr Siamese Cat

priscus

UMIST: I thought was now long gone.

priscus, Feb 1, 2020
  7. Mr Siamese Cat

Mr Siamese Cat

Technically you are correct UMIST and The University of Manchester merged in I think 2005. However most people who work at The University of Manchester in the sciences and Engineering, but especially computing still refer to it as UMIST, as well as a large proportion of the students. Probably because UMIST had such world renown in Computing and Engineering

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/history-heritage/history/umist/

It is ranked 5th in the UK and 35th in the world with a total of 25 Nobel Laureates to it’s name.

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/history-heritage/history/umist/

I guess if one didn’t live in Manchester and knew nothing of the history then Officially it is now The University of Manchester, but even the Press refer to it as UMIST

http://modernist-society.org/news-mcr/2017/1/7/umist-time-to-shout

So merged with and incorporated, but far from gone.

Mr Siamese Cat, Feb 2, 2020
  8. Mr Siamese Cat

priscus

I was at UMIST. Alas, it was now more than half a century ago.

I guess that I should accept your point, as back then, we still referred to it as Tec, which it had long ceased to be!

Last time I saw the campus it did look as if the buildings were becoming unoccupied, but I was attending a conference which also ran into the evenings, so did not have time to look around.

Quick peek online suggests that all is not well, and the so called merger has transformed into a takeover, with large staff redundancies etc, but for many decades now, I have been 'out of the loop' so I have no insider knowledge.

I did like UMIST. Out of the half dozen or so Universities at which I have either studied or worked, UMIST is the only one that I have cared to revisit afterwards.

priscus, Feb 2, 2020
  9. Mr Siamese Cat

Mr Siamese Cat

I think all Universities are facing problems. The whole concept has changed. Manchester is an absolute leviathan now, it has subsumed all the medical, engineering schools and other institutes. Drop out rates are astronomical compared to my day. In my day if you managed to scrape through A levels you could guarantee that if you went to Uni you would get a degree. There are Uni’s in the UK with close to 20% drop out rate in the first year!

Try taking a walk down Oxford road in Manchester it sure isn’t unoccupied any more Manchester Uni is crammed to the rafters. They are packing students in. It has also polarised – you have the students who are just at Uni to put off the inevitable – that there are very few jobs or to find rich husbands.

Then you have the student doing serious degrees. Those are the people who if doing Computing will all still say I’m at UMIST.

This second group have time for nothing else and are racking up massive debts. They need to be from rich families to afford the courses. I admit that the UK loves to subsidise the rich, but they want to know you are rich before the do subsidise your kids. Which is why I won’t be able to afford to go on holiday for the next few years, while I pretend that I am rich enough to send my daughter to Dental and Med school. This year - 3 months in Uganda doing dentisty type things thank the lucky stars that the Japan trip was called off, because of some silly sporting event.

When I completely wasted 3 years of my life doing a degree, at least it was free and I didn’t have huge debts to pay off.

Mr Siamese Cat, Feb 2, 2020
Ask a Question