Odd, unwanted notice on startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by georgek, Jan 27, 2015.

1. georgek

georgek

I'm an XP user from way back, but I am stumped by this one. After my computer boots up and I get my desktop screen, up pops a box that says "Welcome to the found new hardware wizard."

Except there AIN'T no new hardware!!!

"This wizard helps you install software for:

MEDIA"

I have no file or program named MEDIA on this computer.

I ran ESET NOD 32, which detected a few threats and wiped them out, then rebooted--and this darn thing is still there. I can't find any single file named MEDIA, so I'm turning to XP Forums for help.

Anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it?

This is appearing on my trusty ol' Toshiba laptop from 2007 that has worked perfectly and without any problems since then!

Thanks for reading.

GeorgeK

georgek, Jan 27, 2015
  2. georgek

Elizabeth23

go to device manager, under view choose show hidden devices, the ones in light gray can be deleted, but look them up on line first and you should only uninstall the one that is giving probs,

Superantispyware always leaves behind a hidden driver after uninstall that has to be manually deleted.

so it might be from something that has been removed or a remnant of the infections that were wiped out.

run scans until nothing detected, and run a scan with malwarebytes also.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Elizabeth23, Jan 27, 2015
  3. georgek

jim davis

its a good thing to go into program files and look for junk, see something new, google it, ifs it a piece of junk from a removed download its most likely active and sending info on you.

Also, some of these "Should I delete Sites" are over run with psychiatric care folks off there meds, you may get 30 posts trying to answer your question but not one gives a real traction-able answer, I always remind them

"your mother taught you, if you have nothing YES or NO to say, SHUT UP:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

jim davis, Feb 2, 2019
Ask a Question