NT 6.x compatibility shim for XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Katie Boundary, May 22, 2019.

1. Katie Boundary

Katie Boundary

Several months ago, on another forum, I caught some references to a compatibility shim that would allow XP to run programs that would otherwise only run on Vista/7/8/10. Does anyone have more information about this?

Katie Boundary, May 22, 2019
  2. Katie Boundary

WindowsXPforever

There is an extended kernel extension for Windows XP called "One-Core-API" That is currently in alpha/beta stage. I do not recommend installing on your main desktop, use a virtual machine or a spare computer that isn't important. :)

WindowsXPforever, May 28, 2019
  3. Katie Boundary

Katie Boundary

I did notice "one core API" on the Shorthorn website, but a lot of other stuff was mentioned there too, and I couldn't find any clear indication as to which piece of software was the compatibility shim. You're sure that's the one?

I'm planning on nuking my main desktop's hard drive soon anyway. Might as well run some tests first :)

Katie Boundary, May 29, 2019
Ask a Question