not activated

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by WMN1, Feb 18, 2016.

1. WMN1

WMN1

A fixed graphic on my Desktop says,"This copy of Windows is not activated."
    Since Windows XP is no longer covered by Microsoft, anyything pertaining to XP receives no help from Microsoft.
    How is it possible then, to get rid of the graphic?
    I had to format and reinstall my copy of XP Pro. SO Where does this leave me?

WMN1, Feb 18, 2016
  2. WMN1

Elizabeth23

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/312295

you can perform the steps listed above to delete the corrupted activation key and then replace from the install cd.

=================

When I reinstall and then activate, the key on the side of my tower activate my xp, but most of the time I do this, and get automatically activated online:

Create the Activation Status

1. Navigate to system32 folder.
    2. Copy the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files
    3. Reinstall XP in the normal manner
    4. Restart the computer and use the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options
    5. Select Minimal Safe Mode using Up and Down Arrow Keys and press Enter.
    6. Navigate to system32 folder.
    7. Rename the existing wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files.
    8. Copy the previously backed up wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files to the system32 folder.
    9. Reboot the computer.

------------------------

If you try the number, DO NOT press any buttons, just hang on till you get a real person. :)

---------------------

by the way it should not be a FIXED graphic, it is usually a notice that stays up till you either click on it or the X.

anything else might be a problem, does it stay up and you cannot make it go away???

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Feb 18, 2016
  3. WMN1

WMN1

Activation done

Thank all of you for your assistance. I did it an easy way.
    Pressed the Windows key on the keyboard, Followed the next instruction as I figured MS would want (YES) . Even knowing MS cares not about those w/xp,.I followed thru and Activated and Registered again by net this time. When done, was informed I had done good. I re booted and the activation notice was gone! Three HOO RAHs for XP. The Best OS EVER,

WMN1, Feb 20, 2016
  4. WMN1

Elizabeth23

great work, and now copy the files listed above, save to a flash drive or cd and you will never have an activation problem, :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 20, 2016
Ask a Question