Not ACPI Compliant

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by [email protected], Sep 15, 2014.

1. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

[email protected]

I made no changes to my computer whatsoever, but suddenly I get this BSOD when I startup in the morning, telling me that my BIOS is not fully ACPI Compliant. I leave the BSOD on for about 5-10 minutes, restart the computer, and voila! it works. This happens every morning for the past 3 months. I have the latest BIOS for my computer, and everything else seems to be working fine. No crashes during the day at all. Any idea how to fix this? Here's my system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name VAIO
    System Manufacturer Sony Corporation
    System Model PCV-RZ30CP(UC)
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2393 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1010, 10/29/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale Israel
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    User Name VAIO\SONY
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 778.81 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 3.36 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

[email protected], Sep 15, 2014
  2. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

Elizabeth23

Courtesy of Jose Ibarra

Download BlueScreenView from here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Unzip and run it (BSV installs nothing) and let it finish scanning all your crash dump files.

If you double click on of the dumps, you will get some information about it (including the Caused By Driver field) and you may be able to spot the problem right away - especially if you see a pattern in the dumps where the Caused by Driver field is the same (start with that driver).

BlueScreenView tries to locate the right driver or module that caused the blue screen by looking inside the crash stack. However, be aware that the driver detection mechanism is not 100% accurate, and you should also look in the lower pane, that display all drivers/modules found in the stack.

Sometimes BlueScreenView will implicate XP files as the cause of the crash (ntoskrnl.exe, win32k.sys, hal.dll etc.) but they are probably not the real cause of the crash (BSV does the best it can) and you need to look at some other crash dumps or use the Windows debugging tools to dig a little deeper into the crash dump to find the real cause.

Select (highlight) one or more of the most recent dump files by clicking them and holding down the Ctrl key to select multiples files. Try to select just the most recent ones that relate to your issue (maybe five or so dump files to get started).

Click File, Save Selected Items and save the information from the dumps to a text file on your desktop called BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt with a text editor Notepad, WordPad, etc.), select all the text (Ctrl-A), copy all the text to the Windows clipboard (Ctrl-C) and paste the text from the clipboard (Ctrl-V) back here in your next reply.

Here is an example of the BSV report from a single BSOD that I initiated on purpose that shows the cause of the crash as the i8042prt.sys driver belonging to Microsoft Corporation:

==================================================
    Dump File : Mini102911-02.dmp
    Crash Time : 10/29/2011 4:54:36 AM
    Bug Check String : MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH
    Bug Check Code : 0x000000e2
    Parameter 1 : 0x00000000
    Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
    Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
    Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
    Caused By Driver : i8042prt.sys
    Caused By Address : i8042prt.sys+27fb
    File Description : i8042 Port Driver
    Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Company : Microsoft Corporation
    File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
    Processor : 32-bit
    Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+22f43
    Stack Address 1 : i8042prt.sys+27fb
    Stack Address 2 : i8042prt.sys+2033
    Stack Address 3 : ntoskrnl.exe+6e715
    Computer Name :
    Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini102911-02.dmp
    Processors Count : 4
    Major Version : 15
    Minor Version : 2600
    Dump File Size : 94,208
    ==================================================

Send the BlueScreenView information from the last 5 memory dumps (if you don't have 5 memory dumps yet, send the most recent ones you have).

While you are waiting, please do this:

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a quick scan with these free malware detection programs (not at the same time):

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

SAS will probably just report a bunch of tracking cookies that you can delete.

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Reboot your computer and troubleshoot remaining issues.

Sometimes it is easiest to just upload the memory dump files from your most recent crashes to your SkyDrive (everybody has a SkyDrive for sharing file). Then somebody that already has the Windows debugging tools can take a closer look at things and figure out what is going on.

The memory dump files from the recent crashes and BSODs are usually in this folder:

c:\windows\minidump

The files will be named something like this:

Mini120311-01.dmp

You need to upload the most recent ones... maybe 5-10 of the most recent crash dump files ought to be enough if you have that many. If you do not have that many, send what you do have.

Elizabeth23, Sep 16, 2014
  3. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

[email protected]

No Crash Dump

Thanks for your detailed reply, but I do not have any crash dump files. The scan came back negative. I checked in the Windows directory, and there isn't even a folder called minidump. By the way, I took another user's advice and changed the CMOS battery, but it seems to have made the problem worse. Where I used to have to wait only 5 minutes with the BSOD and then restart, now it takes about 30 minutes. Go figure. Also, now my USB hub is no longer automatically recognized. HELP!!

[email protected], Sep 16, 2014
  4. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

[email protected]

Malware Scan

Malware scan seems to have found nothing, I've copied the results below. By the way, I have an image disk from my original install (many years ago), and I reload my entire system (it's on a separate drive) about once a week. So I doubt it's any software problem.

Scan Date: 9/16/2014
    Scan Time: 10:31:48 AM
    Logfile:
    Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.2.1012
    Malware Database: v2014.09.16.04
    Rootkit Database: v2014.09.15.01
    License: Trial
    Malware Protection: Enabled
    Malicious Website Protection: Enabled
    Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x86
    File System: NTFS
    User: SONY

Scan Type: Threat Scan
    Result: Completed
    Objects Scanned: 261097
    Time Elapsed: 17 min, 0 sec

Memory: Enabled
    Startup: Enabled
    Filesystem: Enabled
    Archives: Enabled
    Rootkits: Disabled
    Heuristics: Enabled
    PUP: Enabled
    PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
    (No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 2
    PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter, HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\SECURITY CENTER|AntiVirusDisableNotify, 1, Good: (0), Bad: (1),,[ba9aa24c186359ddcece47b345bf817f]
    PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter, HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\SECURITY CENTER|UpdatesDisableNotify, 1, Good: (0), Bad: (1),,[55ff32bc215a3204108e9961f50f4cb4]

5. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Sep 16, 2014
  6. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

[email protected]

According to Sony, I have the latest BIOS. (When I went to AMI, they sent me to a paid service which claims that there is an update). Anyway, how could it be a BIOS problem if I changed nothing on my computer in the past year (and I only started having the problem a few months ago)? As far as the minidump is concerned, I had the settings right, but it was not producing any. And again, the computer works, just I have to sit and wait until it starts up. I never have crashes during the day. I am inclined to believe that the mobo is going, but even that would be odd.... Any ideas?

7. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

Elizabeth23

how much free space do you have??

what is the page file set at?? system managed is best for now.

You stated that you had changed the cmos battery.

as per this link your bios is correct

doing some more searching at this time, and I see that you have this same question posted in a couple of other forums. :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 17, 2014
  8. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

Elizabeth23

Also, a couple of more questions

does it occur after a shutdown?? or only after a restart??

I want you to run checkdisk to see if this will help, but generally checkdisk works on the disk and file system, but it can not hurt

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265/en-us
    How to perform checkdisk

if you do not have Recovery Console installed, then run from the start menu

go to start, run, type in cmd

in cmd type in chkdsk c: /r and press enter

type Y for yes and press enter

type exit and press enter

restart pc, allow checkdisk to finish and run again

this is a lengthy process depending on the size of your harddrive, the percentages will fluctuate, this is normal, you can view report in the event viewer.
    go to start>run> and type in eventvwr.msc, click on the applications directory, and in the right hand panel choose winlogon.

note, it may have to run twice if any errors are found, run until no errors are found.

note it is better to run chkdsk from the recovery console, if you want instructions to burn a recovery console to a cd, let me know.

9. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

Elizabeth23

10. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

[email protected]

OK. My system disk is 66% empty, and my files disk is 15%. My paging file is 2048M. Note even when I start up from a CD, with the HD disconnected, I get the same error. It only happens after the computer has been shut down over night. I can restart it, or even shut down and manual restart, during the day without a problem. It seems like the computer has to be "heated up" for the computer to start without the BSOD. It's really odd. And yeah, I've posted on other forums, but none has been responsive as you. Thanks a ton. I'll try the checkdisk tonight, but I doubt it'll solve anything since the HD is not the problem as stated above.

[email protected], Sep 17, 2014
  11. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

Elizabeth23

Both above quotes are from here

I agree with the 1. cause, since it runs fine after heating up, therefore you may have to replace your motherboard, however, it has to be the exact same motherboard from the manufacturer, or there will be an activation problem with your os, (but since you have an image to reinstall, this might not be the case), You can get it activated,you will just have to do it by phone, as your product key is tied to the pc/motherboard if it came preinstalled.

or you could take it to a shop that has the capability to see which item on the board is failing and they can just replace that particular diode/capacitor/resistor/etc...

12. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

[email protected]

Nothing's worked. I tried it all. Thanks for all your help. Should I give up?

[email protected], Sep 17, 2014
  13. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

Elizabeth23

short of getting a new motherboard, I can not think of anything else, personally I leave my pc on 24/7, that would at least eliminate the bsod.

however, did you disable automatic restart and did you ever get a bsod that you could read the stop code?? the bsod generally will show what driver is bad also.

14. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

[email protected]

Still not getting minidump. Probably because there's no startup at all -- sometimes it even hangs with the Sony logo. Thanks again!

[email protected], Sep 18, 2014
  15. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

Elizabeth23

One last thing if you have another pc available, can you remove your drive, and connect to another pc and see if it boots??

Elizabeth23, Sep 18, 2014
  16. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

[email protected]

Tried. It works fine. Thanks anyway. You're pretty good at this stuff, but I think a 15 year old computer is hopeless. Not your fault.

[email protected], Sep 18, 2014
  17. sonyvaiodesktop@yahoo.com

Elizabeth23

well, we tried, mine pc is 10 yrs old and I expect things to start breaking any time now. :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 18, 2014
Ask a Question