Nostalgic PC Speakers Sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP Games' started by Hunter2021, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Hunter2021

Hunter2021

Anyone remember the good old days when integrated sound didn't exist and you had to go buy a sound card if you wanted audio to go with your desktop PC? There were some DOS games that could still produce sound thru the built-in internal PC speakers. Examples would be Ken's Labyrinth and Hexxagon. And I think Duke Nukem 1+2 also worked with internal PC speaker.

So, I noticed the other day when I attempted to install Windows XP on my new mini-ITX PC. If I deleted the Intel Display Audio folder (for HDMI sound output) before installing the graphics drivers, WinRAR started producing beeps thru the built-in internal PC speaker. Gonna try this weekend to see if some DOS games can produce sound thru that internal PC speaker for nostalgia effects...

Hunter2021, Apr 12, 2023
  2. Hunter2021

tekkaman

Commander keen games had sound through internal speakers. There were 6 of them. If I remember correctly I think keen 4 had music.

tekkaman, Apr 16, 2023
  3. Hunter2021

cornemuse

Somewhere, I have a small wav file, "31dohs.wav", really old! 386DX, 4 meg ram, 120 meg hdd!
    Was/is Homer Simpson + 31 different Doh's!
    Actually sounded just like on TV!

cornemuse, Apr 16, 2023
Ask a Question