Non-technical way to wipe the C Drive in XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Januaria, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Januaria

Januaria

Hi Peeps ~

So I want to give away a 12-yr old Micro Express laptop that runs XP Pro. I've manually deleted all docs, pictures, etc., but my super limited understanding is that this manual deletion doesn't really actually delete the data. When I googled how to wipe the C drive (not some subsidiary partitioned drive), the online articles are very lengthy and get far more technical than my accountant's brain can absorb.

Something, something download data erasure s/w to USB, followed by something, something additional s/w to read an ISO file. Each step seems to involve another step with another link to another site. It's like peeling the layers of an infinite cosmic onion.

Are there are gearheads out there who have a reasonably non-ultra techie methodology for wiping the C Drive in less than 12 steps?

Thanks in advance!

~ Januaria

Januaria, Dec 21, 2020
  2. Januaria

cornemuse

cornemuse, Dec 22, 2020
    cleverscreenname and trimis like this.
  3. Januaria

ClippyBeer

If creating a bootable CD/DVD or USB is complicated then honestly the easiest method for wiping data from a hard drive for non-ultra techies is to find a techie friend who can do it for you.

ClippyBeer, Dec 23, 2020
  4. Januaria

Januaria

Hi Cornemuse ~

Here's where my blood runs cold: "Overall, DBAN is a great program for advanced users but those who lack proper knowledge can do some serious damage so be careful."

TY, I had already read a # of articles along these lines and concluded that I better stick with Excel & QB and acknowledge that technology is not one of my core competencies.

Thank you again!

Januaria, Dec 23, 2020
  5. Januaria

Januaria

Hi Clippy ~

Most of the articles are a bit more involved that creating bootable external media. Apparently ISO files are not your garden variety files and require special handling.

I think your suggestion about getting a techie friend to wipe the drive is the best suggestion.

Januaria, Dec 23, 2020
  6. Januaria

Januaria

Hi All ~

Just wanted to say that i took your advice, researched it, and downloaded and ran dBan. Took SIX hrs to wipe that old laptop, but now it's clean so it can be donated.

TYVM!

Januaria, Jan 13, 2021
Ask a Question