no problems?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Elizabeth23, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Elizabeth23

xperceniol

I'm sorry that I don't know how to help you and others here are missing in action and vanished fro the earth; seemingly.

xperceniol, Jan 19, 2023
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  2. Elizabeth23

xperceniol

I clutch on to my Dimension 3000 and Optiplex 745 even though I do have bad sectors and memory issues and the dimension is very very slow with 2GB of ram. Right now I can not afford to purchase anything but when I can save up I'd likely pick up another Optiplex with installed with either win 2000 or XP.

By the way, Elizabeth ... how are you? How is the holiday season treating you? Are you busy? I've been gone for quite some time and only recently returned but I always appreciated our joking in the first page and thought about you when I returned here.

I hope everyone here is managing as best as can be with the holiday hustle, I'm glad I don't have to shop for others ... hehe ... but I know this isn't the case for others and I see the forum is quiet overall and wonder where everyone went?

Hope all is well with you and yours, Elizabeth!

Sal

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    xperceniol, Dec 11, 2023
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  3. Elizabeth23

xperceniol

Hello there, legacyfan, been a while since we've talked and I've missed you very much. I do hope you are doing well during this holiday season and I with you well and hope you decide to return here.

Be well.

Sincerely Yours

Sal

xperceniol, Dec 11, 2023
  4. Elizabeth23

cleverscreenname

But they support 3DNow! instructions :D Too bad AMD didn't win the format war on that one... but later on they got their revenge by winning with AMD64 instructions!

I have plenty of older working IDE hard drives and some old memory modules, want some? I don't need any money for them. If your motherboards are SATA only, there are little $5 converter boards on eBay to plug IDE into SATA and vice versa. Would hate to lose a fellow XP die-hard member from this forum!

My XP's are all about 2TB drives and DDR3 memory, so my older stuff doesn't get used.

I would sure enjoy a cheapo PCI video card to get my Pentium 3 Coppermine booting WinME p3side512.png p3front512.png again, but not enough to buy one for $20+ haha
    Do you like how it's "designed" for 4 different OS's lol :D

cleverscreenname, Dec 12, 2023
    xperceniol likes this.
  5. Elizabeth23

xperceniol

Thank you for your generous offer, but, sadly, where I'm living now, I really could not accept gifts from people I don't know, but you won't lose me and I intend to run XP for as long as I can. I do use linux mostly for fun with live sessions on DVD.

Again thank you and you seem like a kind person and I do hope more people will come back here as its quiet here now.

xperceniol, Dec 12, 2023
  6. Elizabeth23

cleverscreenname

Oh that's great to hear! So even if you have a hard drive death, you still know how to get online with Linux! My favorite is MXLinux, because I don't have to screw around and fix stuff (like the software installer/package manager) in Ubuntu.

cleverscreenname, Dec 13, 2023
  7. Elizabeth23

xperceniol

Sort of out there .... but MSFN seems to be down again and is it down confirms that - anybody else notice that? Just checking with others here and I was posting earlier this morning and its not afternoon.

Hope everyone is managing during this busy holiday season here at our quiet forum :)

xperceniol, Dec 18, 2023
  8. Elizabeth23

xperceniol

@cleverscreenname ... I don't know how to turn MXLinux into a live DVD, might you be so kind as to assist me in this?

Hope all is well with you and happy holidays to you and yours.

xperceniol, Dec 18, 2023
  9. Elizabeth23

cleverscreenname

The vast majority of Linux distributions (at least 80%) are live-equipped by default. When you download the ISO from their website, burn it, and reboot, it'll boot up into it's Live desktop and give you the option to install to hard drive or just keep running from the disc. No special magic required!
    Happy holidays to you as well!

cleverscreenname, Dec 22, 2023
    xperceniol likes this.
  10. Elizabeth23

xperceniol

Thank you and I hope I just downloaded the correct one and I look forward to giving it a try at some point when I have some spare time - appreciate your help. I forget that most ISO ifles boot up into a live desktop.

Xfce (our flagship desktop)

• MX-23.1_x64, with a standard Debian 6.1 64 bit kernel and hardware support from Debian Stable. Suitable if your PC is a few years old.

xperceniol, Dec 22, 2023
  11. Elizabeth23

xperceniol

I fired up MX Linux today and overall it was nice to look at the the browser was fine and going online was also fine. But, is it just me because I could not access my hard drive because MX required authentication to access my hard disk. Not sure what that means? Does that mean the Live DVD didn't mount my hard drive because I usually stick with ones that don't require that and I usually avoid the distros that require that - doesn't happen much to me.

Thanks and I appreciate your assistance and happy new year.

Sal

xperceniol, Jan 1, 2024
  12. Elizabeth23

xperceniol

@cleverscreenname are you still with us? At least come up with a good joke or smth.

Still patiently waiting for you to help me with MX Linux.

Hope you are doing well and I"m just kidding if you wish to remain quiet we understand.

Be well.

xperceniol, Jan 4, 2024
Ask a Question