No Ethernet/Wireless drivers and questions about SP3/4

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by justkamiii, Nov 8, 2021.

1. justkamiii

justkamiii

Heya! I was able to successfully fix my old HP Compaq Presario V5000 after doing some maintenance to it, and I was also able to install Windows XP x64 Professional on it. It's working just fine, but it doesn't have any ethernet, Wi-Fi nor sound capacities. I thought that HP might still have the drivers, so I went to their website and, for some reason, it would keep trying to load forever each time I tried to insert the Serial Number and Product Number of the Compaq to find the drivers (It also happens on the Contact Me section as well). I tried searching for drivers from other sites, but I really couldn't get something good from them, either because they were made for the normal x32 Windows XP version or because they were made for another variation of the same laptop with some differences (mainly the AMD/Intel CPU). Is there any way I could somehow find the correct drivers for my machine with a program like SDIO?
    Now here's another question. I want to get SP3/4 for that same Windows machine, but I can't get to find a version of it for x64-based devices. I did see some people claiming there wasn't any service pack 3/4 available for x64, but there's also some people claiming to be able to do so with tools like nLite. I am pretty confused about that, and it would also be really helpful to know what's true and what's not.
    Once again, thanks to whoever reads this, and I hope that I can get a response out of this :)

justkamiii, Nov 8, 2021
  2. justkamiii

ClippyBeer

If you're not able to download drivers from HP's website then SDIO would definitely be your best option for finding the correct drivers for your laptop. Which browser did you try? I have a Presario V2000 and was able to enter my serial to get the right drivers for XP. Try a different browser in Windows 7 or higher (XP browsers have trouble with some sites).

XP x64 is a strange beast - it wasn't widely supported so drivers are going to be hard to find. Then there's the issue of SP4 being 32 but only. Maybe you would be better off installing 32 bit version of XP since there's a good chance the drivers on HP's website for XP will be 32 bit only. I honestly don't see the advantage to XP X64 since SP4 also include physical address extension so you can access more than 3 GB RAM.

ClippyBeer, Nov 9, 2021
  3. justkamiii

justkamiii

The problem is, I don't know if SDIO is supported by Win XP, and even if it does, I am still not able to connect to the internet, so I wouldn't be able to download the indexes.
    I tried entering the serial in two Windows 10 machines with Chrome, so that shouldn't be an issue
    Huh, interesting. Maybe I can do a dualboot with Windows XP x32 and x64 just in case to test out. What do you think? Sorry for not replying sooner

justkamiii, Nov 13, 2021
Ask a Question