Newly installed XP to an SSD does not recognize USB flash drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by Freedom-Universe, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Freedom-Universe

Freedom-Universe

The computer is an HP Compaq Presario C700. The HD died, so I installed a Crucial 128G SSD and then installed XP from a CD. I had to disable SATA in the bios to accomplish the install. XP seemed to work fine. I then installed Quicken 99 Basic which also seemed to install okay.

My intention was that this machine will run only one program (Quicken 99), and never go online. However, when I inserted 2 of my 3 USB flash drives containing the Q-99 backup files, XP does not recognize the USB flash drives. I am thinking the solution might be installing a specific driver for the USB ports, which I would need to download from the internet?? (One of 3 USB ports is occupied by the mouse which works fine.)

However, the XP internet connection wizard only has a set-up for dial up connections, whereas I have Cable One internet. Until XP can recognize a flash drive, I cannot use Q-99 for money management. So if the solution to XP recognizing a USB flash drive is downloading a driver form the internet, then I need a solution for a cable internet set-up connection for XP first.

Freedom-Universe, Aug 18, 2020
  2. Freedom-Universe

Mr Siamese Cat

The Vista Drivers are likely to work on XP

You can download them from this site

https://www.hpnotebookspc.com/hp-compaq-presario-c700-notebook-drivers/

It’s the USB Mass storage device you are likely to need.

Then all you do is transfer the file to your computer by either Network, floppy USB, DVD or DVD USB. I tend to go with network on machines with limited options for install as it’s the easiest for me.

If non of the above grabs you. Then remove the SSD from the notebook and plug it into the computer you using to get on the web and copy the file that way

Mr Siamese Cat, Aug 18, 2020
    Freedom-Universe likes this.
  3. Freedom-Universe

Freedom-Universe

Than you so much, My Siamese Cat.

Yes, I had purchased the Presario new with Vista installed, but no install disk, which is why I installed XP (from a CD install disk I previously had) on the SSD because I knew Q-99 would run on XP.

Well, the Crucial SSD came with a data transfer cable (SSD to USB), so I will try the file transfer today using my web computer, since I have not figured out how to get XP set-up to connect to the web via cable modem. The XP set-up wizard won't let me get past supplying a phone number for a dial-up connection, and I don't have a land line phone.

I will let you know how your suggestion works, once I try it. Thanks again!

Freedom-Universe, Aug 18, 2020
  4. Freedom-Universe

Mr Siamese Cat

This is optional if you feel like messing about:

Plug a Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable into your XP laptop and the other end into the modem.

To set up your XP computer for the Web first check what IP address your Modem is on your web computer.

It is quite likely to be 192 . 168 . 0 . 1

Also make not of Your Web Computers IP Address It is quite likely to be 192 . 168 . 0 . 2

Note whatever they are down

From now on whatever the Modems address is will be your Default Gateway and your Preferred DNS

Go to Settings from the Start Menu

Click on Network Connections

Double Click on Local Area Connection

Click on Properties

Click on Internet Protocol [TCP/IP] in the window or scroll down to it

Click on Properties

You can try Obtain an IP address Automatically at this point if you are getting tired or

Click on Use the following IP Address

Set Up in the boxes thus for you XP Laptop

IP Address 192 . 168 . 0 . 5

Subnet mask 255 . 255 . 255 . 0

Default gateway =The Modems address likely to be 192 . 168 . 0 . 1

Preferred DNS server 192 . 168 . 0 . 1

Click on OK

And turn everything Off and on Again

Mr Siamese Cat, Aug 18, 2020
  5. Freedom-Universe

Freedom-Universe

8-19-10 14:50 MST
    I used the data transfer cable and pluged the SSD into a USB port on the web computer. Then downloaded the SB Mass Storage file (5.6 mb) from the link you gave me previously, right to the SSD.

I reinstalled the SSD back in the Presario and ran the setup.exec file for the SB Mass Storage file. Then went to the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller, clicked Properties, then clicked update driver.

But the hardware update wizard still could not find any drivers, even with the XP install CD in the DVD drive, plus pointing the wizard to the swsetup folder that was created when I ran the setup.exec file for the SB Mass Storage file.

The wizard does suggest allowing an online search, so I am going to follow your instructions for setting the XP computer up to connect to the web.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Freedom-Universe, Aug 19, 2020
  6. Freedom-Universe

Freedom-Universe

I followed these procedures and was able to set up with the exact same IP Address, Subnet mask, Default gateway, and Preferred DNS server values as you surmised above. But after turning the XP computer off, and then back on, Internet Explorer cannot any websites. IE appears to be trying to connect, but times out.

Any further suggestions>

Freedom-Universe, Aug 20, 2020
  7. Freedom-Universe

Elizabeth23

you cannot use IE, either download and install firefox 52.9.0 ESR or MyPal browsers for xp, xp uses IE 8 only for microsoft updates

Elizabeth23, Aug 20, 2020
  8. Freedom-Universe

Freedom-Universe

Thank you, Elizabeth.

The primary problem is that XP cannot see the USB flash drives. (The USB mouse is working fine). The only reason to go online with my XP computer is to search for USB port drivers (if that is the solution to be able to see and access files on the flash drives).

Earlier today I took the SSD out of the XP computer, then using a data transfer cable I plugged the SSD into a USB port on my Linux web computer, and successfully downloaded the SB Mass Storage file (5.6 mb) from the link supplied by Mr Siamese Cat: https://www.hpnotebookspc.com/hp-compaq-presario-c700-notebook-drivers/

So I can get on line with my Linux Web computer with the SSD plugged in as an external drive, but I don't know what to look for to download in order to enable the XP computer to "see" USB flash drives (once I reinstall the SSD back in the XP computer). The SB Mass Storage file did not solve the USB drive recognition problem.

Once I can get a solution for XP to see the flash drives, the XP will never need to go online. So I don't need to have Firefox on the XP, since I can download directly to the SSD while attached to the Linux via Brave browser.

I only want to use the XP for Quicken 99. Q-99 appears to be working fine, but I can't do a restore of the back-up files to Quicken until the flash drive recognition issue is solved.

Thanks again for responding. <3

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Freedom-Universe, Aug 20, 2020
  9. Freedom-Universe

Mr Siamese Cat

Once you double click on the .exe file you downloaded, it will extract to C drive IE your SSD

You will have a folder called swsetup

Go into that

You will have another folder called sp37985

Double click on setup.exe

Forget update driver shenanigans.

There are a lot more drivers you could download from the site for instance the graphics driver and the lan driver look pretty important. Most Drivers will load the same way.

I hope this cures it

Mr Siamese Cat, Aug 20, 2020
Ask a Question