New XP Browser Supremium (Chromium 121)

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by ClippyBeer, Jan 28, 2024.

1. ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer

I saw that xperceniol mentioned a new Chromium browser for XP (Supremium) which is based on newest version of Chromium 121.

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/pl...dows-xp-with-google-meet.934903/#post-3271326

Intriguing. Chromium 121 for XP would be huge. I've been watching Supremium's Github repo and noticed that it was just updated to add XP support but there's a catch - the installer won't work with XP and they are planning to fix that in a future update.
    https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/releases
    Meanwhile you can just use 7-zip to manually extract the files following the instructions:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/185045-supermium/?do=findComment&comment=1259070

1. Open 7-Zip.
    2. Navigate to the setup file you downloaded and hit the 'Extract' button (make note of where you extracted the files to).
    3. There should be 3 files: mini_installer.exe, progwrp.dll and setup.exe. Use 7-zip to extract the mini_installer.exe file and make note of where you extracted the files to.
    4. You will see chrome.7z. Again, use 7-zip to extract all files maintaining directory structure.
    5. It should have created a Chrome-bin directory where you will see the chrome.exe Go back to the first directory and copy the progwrp.dll to the same directory as chrome.exe.
    6. Launch chrome.exe

I tested it in my XP SP3 VM and it was sluggish. Even going into settings kept freezing the browser. I unfortunately don't have the time to do extensive testing but I post these instructions in hopes that other XP users will test drive Supremium and provide feedback to the rest of us.

ClippyBeer, Jan 28, 2024
    Elizabeth23 and xperceniol like this.
  2. ClippyBeer

xperceniol

Also pretty sluggish here on my system but Mina wrote its going to improve.

Here is what it looked like on my computer.
    https://msfn.org/board/topic/185045-supermium/page/15/#comment-1259020
    [​IMG]

xperceniol, Jan 28, 2024
  3. ClippyBeer

tekkaman

tekkaman, Jan 29, 2024
    xperceniol likes this.
  4. ClippyBeer

Walter Knox

I have been using it for a day now, and it is working perfectly fine for me. I am able to do everything I want to including watching YouTube, and it seems to preform fine on my machine. I am running an OptiPlex 9010 with a core i7-3770, 16gb RAM (PAE patch), and an NVIDIA Quadro FX-4600. The RAM usage is quite high even at idle, so if you have the standard 4GB RAM, I can see how it would quickly bog down, but this is still a great advancement.

Walter Knox, Jan 29, 2024
    xperceniol likes this.
  5. ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer

Not surprised that the latest version of Chrome requires more resources than your standard XP era PC can provide. Forget anything like Core Duo and the like and definitely the standard memory limit of XP 32 bit of 3 GB won't be enough.

Will have to keep an eye on this to see if there's any improvement for lower spec computers but for now we'll have to rely on MyPal 68/360Chrome for PCs that shipped with XP.

ClippyBeer, Jan 31, 2024
    xperceniol likes this.
  6. ClippyBeer

xperceniol

[​IMG]

xperceniol, Jan 31, 2024
  7. ClippyBeer

tekkaman

I wonder how it performs on an AMD FX CPU. I will check in the weekend how well it runs on my system. While I really like that we get an updated browser for XP, I would've wished it was a Firefox build instead. I just don't like Google.

@xperceniol
    I think it's understandable that it's sluggish with a Pentium D CPU. I get sluggish performance on youtube with an AMD FX cpu with Newmoon and Serpent browsers.

tekkaman, Feb 1, 2024
    xperceniol likes this.
  8. ClippyBeer

xperceniol

I understand and am grateful to have 2 working computers at all and at least I can do what I need to do with them and print when needed.

xperceniol, Feb 1, 2024
  9. ClippyBeer

AM7

AM7, Apr 5, 2024
  10. ClippyBeer

xperceniol

I've been using it on-and-off, but I keep giving up because its too slow on my system compare to 360 Chrome; so I continue to use that when I need Chrome, otherwise I prefer Mypal68!

xperceniol, Apr 5, 2024
  11. ClippyBeer

ImWolf

I'm happy with my current browsers, so won't play with this one till needed. However, if memory is an issue have any of you installed the 64G patch?

ImWolf, Apr 12, 2024
    xperceniol likes this.
  12. ClippyBeer

tekkaman

Ok so I finally tried this browser. I tried the 64bit version on Windows XP 64 bit.
    My specs:
    CPU: AMD 8320E 3.2Ghz 8 core
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz Dual Channel
    Video Card: ATI HD 4800 Series 512MB GDDR 256bit

First time I tried it it failed to launch. Second time it started fine. Installed Ublock and then went to Youtube. 1080 Videos only take about 16% CPU usage. It's actually the fastest browser for XP. At least with my specs. So far I've found one disadvantage though. For some reason videos don't appear to have vsync. I don't know why. Other than that seems to work fine. I have to tests some other websites later to see how it works. I'm impressed. I wish something like this could be done with a recent Firefox Build.

tekkaman, Apr 21, 2024
Ask a Question