New User Account is terribly messed up. Please help.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Butters, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Butters

Butters

Hello everyone.
    I'd like to start off by saying sorry for making this so long, but I'd like to give as much information about this problem as possible in hopes that someone will know how to help me out here.

Anyway, I created a new user account and logged onto it. Nothing happened. Normally you'd see a dialogue box that says "Setting up personalized settings" for different applications, but this never happened. Eventually I gave up waiting and opened Task Manager to try and start Explorer. I then got an error message that said "The system cannot find the file or path specified. This was obviously unusual (unless it couldn't start Explorer because the settings hadn't been applied yet or something). So I logged off and back on. This time the personalized settings dialog box DID come up, followed by explorer. However, things were still out of the ordinary. The icons on the desktop were either missing, or were being displayed as the default file icon. The only icon that seemed to be working was the Recycle Bin, but even that was glitched. Where the drop shadow should've been was instead white in the shape of the normal drop shadow. The theme was Windows Classic, so I tried changing it to the default Windows XP Luna theme. I got an error message saying that the theme could not be applied. So I went to the Appearance tab, and selected "Windows XP style" under Windows and Buttons. And that did work, but still didn't fix the problem with the icons, and there were some graphical glitches in the visual style. I opened an explorer windows to find that it didn't have any icons at all, just the text that would normally be displayed under the icon. And there wasn't even any 32x32 spacing of the text and where the icons should've been. Logging on and off didn't fix any of the problems either.

Since this was a new user account, I logged out of it and logged back into the Administrator account. I deleted the seemingly failed user account and re-created it. I logged into the newly created account I and things started to look a little more promising. This time the Personalized Settings window came up like it should and the wallpaper was set to the normal "Bliss.bmp" like it should. But things took a turn for the worst when once again it didn't attempt to load the Luna theme, and the same bugs were still present. The only difference this time was that while the theme was still Windows Classic, it had the "Classic" color scheme (the Windows 98 style one) where as last time it had the "Windows Standard" color scheme (the Windows 2000 style one). And like I said, the background was set to Bliss.bmp like normal. I logged out of that account and deleted it.

Normally when I'm faced with a problem I search on Google for a fix, but this seems to be such a strange problem to me that I don't know where to start. If anyone has any ideas of what's wrong or how I can fix this I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Butters, Jan 25, 2013
  2. Butters

Elizabeth23

You can try this, first delete the newly recreated account.

Note: you do know that you cannot create an account with a name, then delete it, and then create a account with the name you just deleted?
    you have to use a different name.

after you have deleted the account, run checkdisk

go to start, run, type in cmd and click ok.

in cmd type in chkdsk c: /r press enter .(space tween k and c and : and /)

when asked if you want to run at next restart type Y for yes and press enter

type exit, and press enter.

restart pc, let finish, this is a lengthy process depending on your harddrive size.

if any errors are found,then you will have to run again until no errors are found.

you can view report in event viewer, applications, winlogon.

this is better run with Recovery console but most do not have it installed on pc.

After, then recreate a new account, and remember to give it a different name than you have already used.

Elizabeth23, Jan 26, 2013
Ask a Question