New Install, 2-problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by carvedduck, Oct 21, 2018.

1. carvedduck

carvedduck

Hi, I have winXP on and old desktop that was been running fine for years but then pushed to one side about six years back. I needed a PC at our well-shed so dusted off the cobwebs and took it to the shed. Thought I'd freshen it so reinstalled directly from the original CD with Key still on the back of the PC case. Yes, I keep the CDs, same for win3.11, win95, win98SE etc. :)

Problem 1:
    It is now saying I need to activate it within 30-days -- but, it is in the well shed 30-miles from home and the Internet. I really do not want to make an extra 60-mile round trip, so what's the worst that will happen if I do not activate it?. I am only using it to log On/Off times of the pump and then connect via VNC from home to check the log.

That leads to problem 2:
    When I tried to set up Network and it says it has no appropriate drivers on the CD. The network was working with the original install, so how do I fix that? I checked the Device drivers section and all the Ethernet stuff has exclamation marks.

I know, I know, should have set this all up while it was at home. Hindsight.

Thanks

carvedduck, Oct 21, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. carvedduck

Elizabeth23

you can activate by phone if you have no internet,

I need the make, model and model number of the pc to search for drivers, laptop or desktop, home or pro xp??

Elizabeth23, Oct 21, 2018
  3. carvedduck

carvedduck

Thanks, but we don't have phone per-se, we use Skype and that's back here at home with DSL. Yes, I know, **everyone** has a cell phone, well, nope, they don't. :) Not everyone has cell access out in the boonies.

So what happens if I do not activate it? Will our logging continue or does it shut down, lockup or something equally unpleasant?

No idea on the model etc. Have downloaded a bunch of network drivers from Intel. Will see what works or -- drag the damned thing back here.

carvedduck, Oct 21, 2018
  4. carvedduck

Elizabeth23

for example mine is a Dell Dimension 3000, mixing up drivers can screw up an install and possibly give you a 7b blue screen which is a bad driver and make the drive unbootable except through a rescue boot disk such as hirens

below is a .txt file on making xp genuine

Attached Files:

5. carvedduck

carvedduck

I am aware of the risks, but thanks for mentioning them. It is a Sam's Club shop-brand thing but I dug out my notes and it has an Intel Atom motherboard, all made by Intel back then. So, will take a bunch from Intel's site with me. I can see what mobo it is and then use the appropriate driver.

Thanks very much for your help, I did find some stuff online about making XP stop with the nagging. But, I assumed they meant copy the wpa.dbl file from this one when it was still running before I outsmarted myslef. But, I didn't think I would have a problem so never went looking for the instructions online so never got the wpa.dbl file to use.

But will try your text file method. I assume I must use one of those Product Codes rather than the actual one I have here. But then, I may just bite the bullet and do the extra 60-miles round trip as a butt-whipping for not setting it all up before leaving. :)

Thanks again Elizabeth.

carvedduck, Oct 21, 2018
  6. carvedduck

Elizabeth23

okay let me know if I can further help, this pci lookup may help you identify drivers:

DRIVERS

How To Find Drivers For An Unrecognized Device

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager)
    2. The hardware whose drivers are missing will appear as Unknown device, so it's easier to locate the device.
    3. Right click on the unknown device and click on Properties.
    4. Under the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down box.
    5. You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086
    &REV_01\4&1E46F438&0&40F0

6. The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 27DC

7. carvedduck

carvedduck

Thanks, the text file did not work, could only use the second of the two Keys as the first is a one-block-short.

So what's the worst that can happen in 29 days?

I am going to leave it as it is for now as the Network is working and I can now SSH to it from here, albeit very slowly (300-baud) if it crashes at the 30-day mark then I will have to bring it back and Activate it here. I'll be sure to make a copy of that wpa.dbl file once it is Activated again. Hindsight is a wonderfull thing. :)

carvedduck, Oct 22, 2018
  8. carvedduck

WindowsXPforever

After 29 days it will say please activate windows now at login and if you press no it will log you out.If you will press yes it will prompt you to activate windows over the internet or activate it by phone.

WindowsXPforever, Oct 22, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. carvedduck

cmccaff1

From what I remember, XP would flat-out stop working if you didn't activate it within thirty days. Starting with either Vista or 7, there was a more graceful fallback in that you would still have access to all the basic system functions but the more advanced features would be disabled. 2000/ME, if memory serves, were the last versions of Windows that did not require any activation.

cmccaff1, Oct 24, 2018
  10. carvedduck

Lex24

You should be able to perform activation using Skype or even from a payphone. Cell phone is just most convenient because MS will send you a link to the activation web page via SMS.

Otherwise you will have to enter all the numbers from XP "phone activation" page over the phone manually and then record with pen and paper the numbers MS robot will read to you. It's just my guess, I've never tried this myself.

Lex24, Oct 27, 2018
  11. carvedduck

Elizabeth23

yes, they will be read to you as many times over as is needed for you to write them down as that will be your activation number next time, but once you activate copy the wpa.dbl and save it. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 27, 2018
  12. carvedduck

esc

Hi, I have winXP on and old desktop ...

--------------

also most important, is to burn a DVD R with copies ( copy and paste ) of the windows xp
    Windows directory and all its contents
    incl sys and sys 32 folder
    and so all windows files, you have backups in case individual files get corrupted
    you have a DVD R , that has the good files, on it, and can insert DVD and copy and paste the file needed
    to keep the drivers running

also keep an OS install disc on hand, to install to a boot. where the os loads[/QUOTE]

esc, Mar 27, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
Ask a Question