Never in all my years

Well, as you might have guessed from the subject heading, I have never come across this problem before in all of the XP installations I have done over the years.

Replaced a hard drive that crashed and reinstalled Win XP home 32 bit. Installed chipset drivers and the rest. Connect to the net and do all of the 133 updates last night, all working good when I turn it off.

Turned on today. All working as expected and then 5 more updates.
Reboot and now I cannot get ANY keyboard to work. USB or PS/2.
All other devices are working as they should. Even the USB mouse.

Check Device Manager and there is a USB HID Device (keyboard) in there but it still does not work. I rolled back drivers and did system file check. Restored to last good config etc. Nada.

Any ideas or am I going to have to start from square one again and hope the same problem doesn't happen?

K

It sounds like the USB Root Hubs are toast on the computer.

You can reset them by doing the following:
Navigate to the Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers
Locate the USB Root Hub(s) in this area then right click each one and choose uninstall.
After installing each of them, restart the computer and let them be reinstalled. It may take a bit for them all to get reinstalled.
See if the devices work now.

NOTE: You may be prompted to restart after removing the first entry but do not do it until all are done.
Also, DO NOT remove the other things listed there. Only remove the USB Root Hub(s)

from here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...uchpad-keyboard-problems-in-windows#v1h=tab01

above is a tutorial to follow some troubleshooting steps.

does the keyboard work in safe mode??

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for the reply.
I will most definitely try that out, but as the USB mouse is working ok in all ports wasn't sure if it was root hub related. Unless it's a power issue.
We'll see later today. I had just had enough yesterday after doing all of the other stuff.

I don't think USB keyboard worked in safe mode either.

Will let you know how it goes later.

K

Hmm , I agree that if the mouse works in all usb slots then it is not the usb slots that are bad, it is not the cable as you said the board works in another pc.

will have to do some more research :)

I bit the bullet and decided to do a complete reinstall of XP again.
Either way one of two things would happen. It would result in the same problem or it would install with all things working as they should.

Thankfully, everything is working now.

It's something we'll just have to put down to gremlins. ;)

Thanks for input anyway Elizabeth.

K

Back