.NET problems following recent Windows updates (Feb '19)?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Colm, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Colm

Colm

Hi there, is anyone else seeing some problems with Windows XP following the download and install of Windows updates this week?

Some .NET applications are now crashing and indicating clr20r3 ?

Colm, Feb 13, 2019
  2. Colm

WindowsXPforever

no problems here,

WindowsXPforever, Feb 14, 2019
  3. Colm

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 14, 2019
  4. Colm

Lex24

Lex24, Feb 15, 2019
  5. Colm

WindowsXPforever

Uninstall it because its a buggy one. Blame MS for this update :/

WindowsXPforever, Feb 15, 2019
  6. Colm

cornemuse

Knock on wood, but the only update I have ever done is SP-3.
    Never any trouble in lo these many years, , , , ,
    Oh wait, that one few years back where data on lots of peoples comps was held for ransom, As I recall, ultimately not needed for XP

cornemuse, Feb 15, 2019
  7. Colm

Chiron

Yes, I've got a problem: following to the last burst of updates a few days ago my ExpressVPN stopped working and started claiming aloud that something was amiss - on two different systems.
    I uninstalled the updates (that seem to be heavily interdependent with each other) and all went back to normal.
    Thus I couldn't help but disable the automatic updates (a stubborn XP-er would have a hard life without a VPN) but for some reason I'm not feeling at ease like this - maybe my shrink will even know why ;)
    Now I'm going to re-enable the updates and then remove KB4487085 only (thank you Lex24!)

If you don't hear from me again it may mean either that the trick worked fine, or that both my systems are shattered beyond repair... :(

Chiron, Feb 17, 2019
  8. Colm

Chiron

Confirmed, KB4487085 was the culprit!
    The automatic updates are now enabled again, the lousy one is banned forever, both systems are running fine and I'll live happily ever after - or until next April 9th, whatever comes first :rolleyes:

Chiron, Feb 17, 2019
  9. Colm

WindowsXPforever

Please note that MS rereleased this update and its now fine

WindowsXPforever, Feb 17, 2019
    Chiron likes this.
  10. Colm

Janice

I keep automatic updates disabled and usually wait for a while before manually installing updates to make sure things like this does not happen. Now I can go ahead and install the latest updates. Can you please tell me the date of the re-release of KB4487085 so that I know I am getting the new good update and not the earlier bad one.

Janice, Feb 17, 2019
  11. Colm

WindowsXPforever

They pulled the bad KB4487085 update with replacing it KB4487085 V2
    info about it https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...te-for-vulnerabilities-in-windows-xp-embedded

WindowsXPforever, Feb 18, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  12. Colm

Lex24

Lex24, Feb 18, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  13. Colm

Chiron

Thanks, confirmed again: the fixed KB4487085 works fine!

BTW, I'm looking for a piece of software to backup the updates downloaded and installed so far, and then to re-installed them off-line on a freshly generated XP without having to wait for the system to do it over the web.
    Call me a pessimist if you wish, but I wouldn't bet that Microsoft will leave the automatic updates system active after April 9th, and that fateful date is just around the corner.
    Any good advice?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Chiron, Feb 26, 2019
  14. Colm

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 26, 2019
    Chiron likes this.
  15. Colm

Chiron

Thank you Elizabeth, it looks like a little great tool once you get the hang of it!
    Yes, as it often happens to many tech developers (yours truly definitely not excluded :rolleyes:), the author tends to omit whatever looks too obvious - to him ;).
    However it doesn't really take long to come to terms with it: a bit of trial & error, a modicum of patience and a few "how would I do it were I in his shoes?" do the job easily enough.

A few points that might come in handy for those pessimists who, like me, prefer to be on the safe side should the updates vanish from the web after April the 9th:

- Being a portable, the program stores the cache sub-folder with the updates in its own folder (the one where PortUp.exe resides). No immediate way to save the updates elsewhere.

- Once it determines which updates are required for your system, it must download them. Before starting the download select them all (tick their boxes) lest eventually you find in the cache only the few you haven't installed in your system. Leave out only the ones you're sure you don't want and never will. On my system (XP with SP3) they take about 1.75 GB all together, thus don't let the 15 GB mentioned on the web page scare you.

- Apparently if you want a complete cache in order to update a freshly installed system, all the updates need to be downloaded, if only once - no one is taken directly from your system, even though they are cached also here. The complete download takes quite a while so be sure to have a good book handy.

- I haven't tested it yet but when it comes to installing the cached updates on a new system, the web site states clearly that you may select the ones you want - no need to install all of them and then remove the unwanted ones.

- Although they look somewhat like command buttons, the controls on the second line from top are actually labels. Clicking on them only alters the order the corresponding data are displayed in. The controls on the first row from top select the action (phase) you're about to execute. The one button that really runs the operations is the "Start" button in the upper right corner.

- The definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials just won't download, period. Whether you want to panic or not because of that is a personal issue - personally I never missed them.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Chiron, Feb 26, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  16. Colm

Elizabeth23

1. if there are more updates that portup does not download you can download them to the cache manually, for later install.
    2. first search must be online and from the pc you will be doing the fresh install
    3. upon the fresh install and after drivers are installed, then do another search (offline) and the list will populate for all the updates in the cache, and then you can select the ones you want, if you have inadvertently downloaded an update you do not desire, then simply delete it from the cache. :)

the downloads for mse can be manually installed if you still use mse,

Elizabeth23, Feb 26, 2019
    Janice likes this.
Ask a Question