Need to Obtain Drivers!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by glengen, Jan 6, 2014.

1. glengen

glengen

Recently acquired used Acer Aspire 5610. Am in process of reinstalling XP pro operating system. Have a reinstall disk, but not the drivers, etc. Although these are presumably available from the internet, I cannot access the internet without at least some of them installed! Presumably I need to download them with a different computer, put them on a cd or flash drive etc. but I don't know how to do this. It also appears that there may be some other Acer software for some of the special keys on the computer. I would like to restore it to its initial condition. Many many thanks for your help.

glengen, Jan 6, 2014
  2. glengen

Elizabeth23

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

acer support, you can download drivers here, and/or read how to use acer recovery.

ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/not...0_5610_5610Z_3690-ENG-User Manual (Vista).pdf

your user manual here in PDF form

-----------------

from another pc, go to the site to download drivers and/or read manual, when you are ready to download a driver, insert a cd-rw or flash drive in appropriate slot, when you click on download, choose to SAVE, in the save dialog box, choose the location of your media, highlight, and click open or ok , download will then be saved to the location of your choice.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Elizabeth23, Jan 6, 2014
  3. glengen

glengen

Thank you!!

Sorry that my response has been delayed, but many many thanks for your help!! In retrospect the procedure was so straightforward that I'm embarrassed that I even needed to ask but at 88+ years of age, I guess that I have a touch of "rigor mortis" in my brain cell. I still need the "Acer Launch Manager" to finish the task, but this does not appear to be available from the Acer website. To be sure, it appears to be available "free" from many other sites, but I have misgivings about going there when I don't know what other junk or spyware I may also get in the process. I would appreciate your additional comments. Again my thanks for your help!

glengen, Jan 10, 2014
  4. glengen

glengen

Update!!

I found the information on the Acer website. Just didn't know where to look!!

glengen, Jan 10, 2014
  5. glengen

Elizabeth23

6. glengen

glengen

Again many thanks. Two additional questions, they probably should be "new threads" but I still don't understand this website. Anyway, I have done the reinstall of XP but the "hibernate" and "standby" functions are not operational although they are in the XP operating system which was present when I acquired the computer and which I have preserved in a different partition. Question 2, different computer: Problem began when I did a "defrag" of the HD. Wouldn't boot, something about NTLDR corrupted. Tried to reinstall it from installation disk, but unsuccessful. Created a new partition and installed another copy of XP, then tried to access the files from there. Scandisk reported files were crosslinked. Windows Explorer reported about 12K files in "FOUND....." directories, and Spotmau now reports about 16 GB in 123K files. Is there any point in my taking the computer to the local computer store and spending $$$ but where I am told the staff has some more sophisticated recovery tools, or is the disk hopelessly scrambled? Many thanks for your help!

glengen, Jan 17, 2014
  7. glengen

Elizabeth23

first the operating system has to be on c; drive. if it was a partition on the same drive, your os will do screwy things, because it wants to be on c drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907477

above is to troubleshoot hibernate and standby, I do not use these as they use a lot of resources, especially hibernate, but maybe they will help you. I can probably answer some of your questions if you have any after you take a look at the troubleshooting.
    =================

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6a7e789cab1d6f39&id=6A7E789CAB1D6F39!311

there is a copy of ntldr, at above skydrive,

you will have to try to reinstall again and delete all partitions, then if you wish to create partitions do so, but install the os on the c drive, the very first partition.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7168616_fix-windows-xp-ntldr.html

above will tell how to repair ntldr, but do not know if it will work on any other partition other than c.

Elizabeth23, Jan 17, 2014
Ask a Question