Need Recommendation On XP Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by PJAmerica, Mar 9, 2015.

1. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

So I install all of the security updates for sure once XP is installed. My question is this. Do I need to download the stuff that shows up in custom when running windows update in IE or should I avoid it? And if so then is there any specific optional updates I should install if any?

Thanks,
    John

PJAmerica, Mar 9, 2015
  2. PJAmerica

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hi PJ,

Over about a decade I have never installed the optional updates, they seem to be for things etc we don't really use anyway. All I install when doing a "fresh XP" setup are the Critical Updates and have never had a problem.

I did think for a while that a Malicious Software Removal Tool update was a problem (that is, trying to kill XP) but I will admit that I was incorrect. It is harmless.

Updates write a whole heap of hidden files and you wonder where you hard disk space has gone. Easy fix. In Control Panel Folder Options set it to show hidden files. After downloading and installing the 150 or so XP updates and re-start, open the Windows folder and you will see about 150 files named $MSunist or similar in blue. Quite safe to delete them all but don't delete the ie8 folder.

Cheers ,

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Mar 9, 2015
  3. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

@ Aunty Jack, don't you install any rootkit updates?? they are under optional, do not know why. :)

@PJAmerica, I like to install .net which is optional, and then the updates become critical. I believe windows media player is optional, I like to install that, that is about it for optional, DO NOT install any hardware updates from microsoft updates. :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    Elizabeth23, Mar 9, 2015
  4. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

Thanks for the follow up to you both.

@Aunty Jack, Thanks for the advice but I never ever remove the uninstallers. At most it's around 200MB or so. Not much space use. I leave them in case I need to remove something causing issues. Besides, Ccleaner offers the option on the fly if you want to remove them without go about it the manual way.

@Elizabeth23, I install WMP11 but never know which updates to install and in what order. Same for .Net Framework 1-4. Any advice on the best way to go about that? Also, where do I get the rootkit? IE Updates shows something from November but that's it. I never instal anything for Hardware either. Learned the hard way sometime back,

PJAmerica, Mar 10, 2015
  5. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

from the microsoft download center the first one is nov 2013, the second one is march 2014

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/931125?wa=wsignin1.0

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42092

I would just go with the second one.

for the order of install, Just install each one if one comes up as not installed, either try later or it might have been superseded.

that is one reason I let wsus and autopatcher run as the updates are installed and I do not have to worry, since .net installs are very lengthy.

--

Elizabeth23, Mar 10, 2015
  6. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

Thanks for the follow up. I slipstreamed everything I need to avoid being prompted for updates. I have .NET Framework 1-4 slipstreamed as well. Now it takes just a little longer on initial install rather than forever post install. Got all of my drivers added as well.

I stay away from those automated installers like WSUS and Autopatcher myself so they are no good to me. I was just looking for some basic advice on absolutes or nots. Thanks for the info Liz.

PJAmerica, Mar 10, 2015
  7. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

you are welcome :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 10, 2015
Ask a Question