Need help with XP service packs

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by MamaFriedrich, Feb 27, 2021.

1. MamaFriedrich

MamaFriedrich

hello, I'm new here !
    I'm not particularly versed in computers, but I'm trying to update an old laptop with Windows XP professional. I installed it from a disk we had, which I believe to be the same one installed on my own old pc when XP was still in support.
    I've downloaded all 3 service packs but SP1 refuses to install because it says I have an invalid key. I'm unsure how to fix this, and I don't know if we have any other XP install disks as a lot of our old computer disks have gone missing.

any help is appreciated !!

MamaFriedrich, Feb 27, 2021
  2. MamaFriedrich

usingh066397

You do not have to install service packs one and two, if you have service pack 3 it will install the service pack 1 & 2 updates automatically. Try installing it, and if you don't have it I can link a download link here:
    https://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Service-Pack-3/3000-18513_4-190061.html

BTW: You should consider using the unofficial Service Pack 4 which installs a host of security updates for Windows XP
    https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_xp_service_pack_4_unofficial.html

ALSO if you are interested at all in future-proofing your machine, use the Mypal Windows XP Browser & install the exFAT update (Which allows XP to read & write to exFAT drives). Also, install a free antivirus for added protection. I recommend avast.
    https://www.mypal-browser.org/
    http://greyghost.mooo.com/windows-exfat/
    https://www.avast.com/windows-xp-antivirus

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    usingh066397, Feb 27, 2021
  3. MamaFriedrich

flavallee Guest

flavallee, Feb 27, 2021
    Samir and MamaFriedrich like this.
  4. MamaFriedrich

MamaFriedrich

THANK YOU !!! I will try this

MamaFriedrich, Feb 27, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  5. MamaFriedrich

MamaFriedrich

I know I don't have to install the first two, but it completely refused to install 3 before I did so. I tried to install 2, and it would get stuck extracting the files because there was something it couldn't find.

MamaFriedrich, Feb 28, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  6. MamaFriedrich

usingh066397

I see. Try using the download link that someone else provided (above me). Afterward, I would recommend you install the updates that I listed in my previous response. Since I am unfamiliar with the type of Windows XP iso this is, it may require a product key. If you have a product key, that's good but if you don't then you will need to do some software trickery to activate windows. Keep in mind that some ISO's are preactivated and don't require a product key. In order to see if windows is activated, press the Windows and R keys at the same time. You will see the run dialog box. type in 'winver' and you be able to see if windows is activated or not.

usingh066397, Mar 1, 2021
  7. MamaFriedrich

secpar

They key may be considered invalid if it is an OEM product key and the installation disc is not an OEM disc.

secpar, Mar 5, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  8. MamaFriedrich

Cesare Vesdani

Cesare Vesdani, Jul 21, 2021
  9. MamaFriedrich

Elizabeth23

please confine your question to a single post, thank you

Elizabeth23, Jul 22, 2021
  10. MamaFriedrich

flavallee Guest

The ISO file for Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit which contains all updates and add-ons to May 15, 2021 is 742 MB in size.

The ISO file for Windows XP Professional SP5 32-bit which you provided a link to is 1.5 GB in size.

I don't know why that ISO file is more than twice as large, unless there are a lot of third-party extras that aren't mentioned.

flavallee, Jul 22, 2021
  11. MamaFriedrich

Cesare Vesdani

The SP5 iso of Windows XP is 1.5GB in size because it not only consists of the Service Pack 5 update, but also contains the Windows XP Processional Service Pack 5 that was slipstreamed into this installation. If the SP5 update was a standalone one, then the file size would be smaller and the file type would be an exe file instead of an iso file.

Cesare Vesdani, Jul 22, 2021
Ask a Question