Need help with Explorer File Search

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by elim, Mar 8, 2017.

1. elim

elim

I cannot remember but thought I did something trying to make xp's explorer file search like that of windows 2000. I did right on one of my laptop but not quite right on the one I'm using now.

What happened is that when I select file searech in the right mouse button menu, it pop up a search window like this:
    search_1.gif

I have to click use Search Companion to get another file search window search_2.gif
    because I can only do the search with the 2nd window.

My question: Is there a way to get rid of the 1st window, directly have the 2nd window at the first place? It drives me crazy every time I see the 1st window:(

Thanks a lot for your help!

elim, Mar 8, 2017
  2. elim

Elizabeth23

2 ways, one in the registry:

Open registry editor (regedit)

Search for this key: ShowStartSearchBand

Change value to 0

------------------

and the other:

When you open Windows XP Search Companion, you may see the dialog which asks What do you want to search for. This article describes how to set All files and folders as the default dialog when starting the Search Companion.

• Start Windows XP Search Companion
    • Click Change Preferences, Change files and folders search behavior, and select the following option:
    Advanced - includes options to manually enter search criteria. Recommended for advanced users only

• Click OK.

Elizabeth23, Mar 9, 2017
  3. elim

cornemuse

I have found 'Ultrasearch' to be much better than 'windows search', especially speed.
    Only issue is it doesnt work on thumb drives or memory card readers <- use win search there, , , ,

https://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch/

They have 64 bit version for XP 64.

cornemuse, Mar 9, 2017
Ask a Question