Need a new monitor

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by AM7, Jan 13, 2023.

1. AM7

AM7

My 19 year old 19" CRT monitor is in need of replacement.
    Windows XP Home 32bit,P4,3.0ghz-2gb ram.
    Nvidia Ge Force FX 5200 video card with VGA and DVI ports with the latest Nvidia driver I can find.

Will a new 24" wide screen LCD-LED flat panel monitor with DVI port connected instead of VGA work well with this old PC without problems?

AM7, Jan 13, 2023
  2. AM7

MisterEd

It should. I have a 20 year old computer that has a Nvidia geForce FX 5900 video card. It works fine with a Samsung 19" LCD monitor I bought in 2005. I have connected at different times with either DVI or VGA.

That 20 year old computer originally had a Nvidia geForce4 ti4600 video card. That card is another old computer now. This computer can also use a monitor with either a VGA or DVI port.

I have another ASUS 21" LCD-LED monitor I bought in 2018. It has VGA, DVI, and HDMI ports. I have used with it all my computers at different times whether the computer required VGA, DVI, or HDMI.

MisterEd, Jan 13, 2023
  3. AM7

AM7

Thanks.
    Now I just have to find the right LCD LED monitor which is a headache as there are so many choices but not all have a DVI port,

How much of a difference in picture quality is there between VGA and DVI with a LCD LED monitor?

AM7, Jan 14, 2023
  4. AM7

MisterEd

Personally I don't see much difference especially at low resolutions but that is probably not true for much younger eyes.

MisterEd, Jan 14, 2023
  5. AM7

tekkaman

6. AM7

AM7

Do new LCD LED monitors that have a DVI port come with dual or single link DVI ports?
    Can't find an answer to that.
    If I find a monitor with no DVI port but with a HDMI port I can use a DVI to HDMI cable,so more monitor choices available.

AM7, Jan 28, 2023
  7. AM7

tekkaman

I think most monitors should come with HDMI But I don't know if they have DVI as it never had much usage compared to VGA or HDMI

tekkaman, Feb 7, 2023
Ask a Question