Native NTVDM not working all of a sudden after reinstall.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by AbdullahTrees, Apr 24, 2020.

1. AbdullahTrees

AbdullahTrees

Hi! Back in January 2020 I decided to dust off my old decapitated laptop and install some interesting OS's on it for retro gaming. It was a 2012 HP Envy m6-1105dx laptop that originally came with Windows 8.1 (manufacturers don't provide drivers so I had to go on a driver hunt from drp.su and managed to find all missing drivers).

Initially when I installed it, I managed to get it running perfectly fine, no problems whatsoever. Out of the box, it ran the first MSDOS application I threw at it (Mavis Typing Tutor, it crashed my laptop 80% of the time I ran it but that was the video driver's fault), and could even perfectly run Beez on my TV(HDMI) at full speed.

[​IMG]
    MS-DOS Game 'Beez' running on NTVDM Win XP!

However, I made a mistake while making the partitions and turns out I left too little HDD space for the 3rd OS and so I had to reinstall everything. After I reinstalled Windows XP (I installed all the drivers again, and added in an extra touchpad driver), the Windows XP installation seems to work fine and can run all the games meant for XP like Pekka Kana 2 and Akuji the Demon.

But for some reason it can't open the DOS games anymore like it used to :( Now whenever I open a DOS Application it starts a command prompt which immediately closes before a second elapses. Running the game from command prompt reveals that it gives a message saying 'Cannot execute <%PROGDIR>/gamename.exe' before it terminates.

Out of 4 of my test MS-DOS games, only 1 has managed to run perfectly. And that is DOOM for DOS (doom19s.zip), the other 3 give this 'Cannot execute' error, when before, they used to run fine. Please help me out here, I hope there are still enough expert XP users who know how to fix problems.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    AbdullahTrees, Apr 24, 2020
Ask a Question