NAS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by priscus, Apr 26, 2017.

1. priscus

priscus

Anyone using a NAS arrangement that they feel is worthy of recommending?

It seemed such a good idea, in principle. One location to which all my devices could use as a repository to store and retrieve my stuff from.

After a number of false starts, thought I had it solved. Using a Buffalo 'Link Station': Its HDD is not huge , but two USB ports, so capable of expansion with USB sticks or HDDs.

Worked with XP
    worked with W7
    Worked with Linux
    Worked with Android

Then, M$ brought out W 10. Link Station not usable, no W10 software.

Waited 18 months, to see if any solutions, as others had already posted concerning this. Now accepting that I will need to move on again.

Obviously, this time around, I do not want to be tied into any proprietary technology which does not work next time new hardware appears on the scene: it defeats the whole point of having NAS.

I had considered building my own rig, using FREENAS, but web page found dealing with such says really need to be using one of the low power server boards. They are expensive, even buying used.

I did actually purchase one on Ebay. It never turned up, Ebay refunded my payment, but alas, I am back to square one!

priscus, Apr 26, 2017
  2. priscus

Ian Administrator

I've got both a QNAP and Synology NAS - I'd recommend both brands. It depends on how much power you need, but they do anything from entry level (file server) ones, all the way up to 4K media player/virtualisation/GPU included ones.

The J series Synology units look like good value and come in a range of disk bay configs :).

Ian, Apr 29, 2017
    priscus likes this.
  3. priscus

priscus

Thanks, Ian.

Will look into both when I explore my options.

priscus, Apr 29, 2017
    Ian likes this.
  4. priscus

towgers

Just use Windows 7 if you don't want to use something old or something Win10. The best in between there is.

Posted on wrong thread. :D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    towgers, Apr 30, 2017
  5. priscus

priscus

I think you have posted on wrong thread.

priscus, Apr 30, 2017
  6. priscus

towgers

Hahaha. I did.

towgers, Apr 30, 2017
Ask a Question