Mypal68 browser tweaks wanted

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by UK-Tim, May 1, 2023.

1. UK-Tim

UK-Tim

On Mypal 29.3 I had my page tabs on the bottom. I did this by leaving "view/Toolbars"/Tabs on top" in the unchecked state.

I would like to do the same thing for Mypal68. Has anyone any ideas on how to do this?

Also I used "GetemAll" as a download manager for the "Multi threaded" speed increase.

This does not work with Mypal68 and my download speed has gone back down to 80K, instead of 600K. Any ideas/advice?

UK-Tim, May 1, 2023
  2. UK-Tim

ClippyBeer

If you want Downthemall for MyPal 68 you will have to go to addons.mozilla.org and install it from there. The older versions don't work on MyPal 68.

ClippyBeer, May 1, 2023
  3. UK-Tim

ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer, May 2, 2023
  4. UK-Tim

UK-Tim

Thanks ClippyBeer,

I've got Downthemall loaded and also stored a copy of the xpi file on my drive.

I'm not sure how well it works yet, hopefully time will tell. I find the simpler the
    apps become the harder I find them to use. For instance in "GetemAll" I could manually
    set the number of threads which came in very handy on sites that restrict my downloads
    per 24 hour period. Going in with 10 threads on the first file uses up the complete 24 hour
    restriction.

I also saw the tab fix, but thought they might be "taking the mick" with a name like
    ‘userChrome.css’ thinking that Chrome & Firefox were competitors and so backed off.

So thanks for trying it for me, I'll get onto it.

I saw in one of your earlier posts that you were working with both 29 & 68, And I wondered
    why you felt the need to use both. Now I'm using 29 & 68 and I can see that although 68 works
    with more web pages, the actual look & feel has changed quite a lot. Therefore I still mostly use
    29 and move temporarily to 68 when some button or link wont work under 29.

Tim

UK-Tim, May 3, 2023
  5. UK-Tim

ClippyBeer

For certain websites such as Archive.org MyPal 29.x + legacy DownthemAll downloads are a lot faster than in MyPal 68 + newer DownthemAll. Legacy DownThemAll allows you to do multi-segmented downloads (same file, multi connections) with the ability to add more segments to increase speed.

Note the number of segments and the download speed from Archive.org on MyPal 29 with legacy DownThemAll.

[​IMG]

In contrast MyPal 68 with the latest version of DownThemAll only downloads one segment with no option to add more. Note the difference in downloads speeds vs MyPal 29, both on Archive.org.

[​IMG]

Bottom line, there is no 'one browser to rule them all' for Windows XP. You need MyPal 29 & 68 as well as 360Chrome 13. 360Chrome 13 offers the best compatibility for the modern web on XP.

ClippyBeer, May 3, 2023
  6. UK-Tim

UK-Tim

I have been using 360Chrome v13 occasionally , but I don't find it very easy to use, lots of Chinese worded pop-ups and generally crashes after 60 seconds.

I see what you mean about DownthemAll.

I thought I didn't know how to use it. It didn't even ask where I wanted the download to go, just dumped it on the desktop! Without the ability to use multiple threads/segments, I honestly can't see any reason for it's existence apart from "reducing" internet traffic.

UK-Tim, May 3, 2023
Ask a Question