Mypal browser stalls on BBC Sounds after about 20 minutes

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Paddydr, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Paddydr

Paddydr

BBC Sounds plays fine for about 20 minutes in Mypal browser. Then stops. Any ideas that can help please?

Paddydr, Jul 4, 2021
  2. Paddydr

red Guest

try to update drivers also there is a new update to mypal wont be a browser problem for the sound may be your laptop getting hot?
    long live xp:)

red, Jul 6, 2021
  3. Paddydr

Paddydr

Thank you Red. Will try the browser update. Not sure how to do the driver update though. Thanks for your help. All the best

Paddydr, Jul 7, 2021
  4. Paddydr

red Guest

red, Jul 8, 2021
  5. Paddydr

Paddydr

Thanks very much Red. Tried the Mypal browser update. Same problem. The BBC Sounds stops at the same amount of time. Very peculiar. Will try the update drivers link. Thanks Red.

Paddydr, Jul 10, 2021
  6. Paddydr

Janice

Can you please clarify what you mean by "there own web site"
    Thank you

Janice, Jul 13, 2021
  7. Paddydr

red Guest

driverpac not using a 3rd party (i have it on a disk i made a while a go)

red, Jul 15, 2021
    Janice likes this.
  8. Paddydr

Janice

I would like to make a disk myself but it doesn't appear to be possible. From you link, Softonic directs me to an another web page: https://driverpack.io/en

Only choice available is to install or update drivers on line rom this site. How safe it is to do that is another question!

Janice, Jul 16, 2021
  9. Paddydr

red Guest

red, Jul 17, 2021
    Janice likes this.
  10. Paddydr

flavallee Guest

flavallee, Jul 24, 2021
  11. Paddydr

ClippyBeer

Updating your driver isn't going to help - It's the BBC Sound Website. It cut out for me after 25 minutes. I'm not registered on their site I just played a few live broadcasts and they would stop playing and I couldn't restart unless I closed the browser and started again. It may be some incompatibility with BBC Sounds and XP Mozilla browsers because the same thing happened in Serpent 55.

I can listen to Youtube live streams for hours as well as Shoutcast.com. You really should try Youtube live streams before updating sound drivers since I seriously doubt that will fix the issue because I have a different computer than you and I experienced the same problem on BBS Sounds.

ClippyBeer, Jul 25, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  12. Paddydr

ClippyBeer

I would definitely NOT recommend DriverPack.

The target PC: Gateway Laptop MD2601U - AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.1 GHz - 3GB DDR2 667 MHZ RAM - Integrated AMD HD3200 GPU - Marvell Yukon GB Ethernet - Railink 802.11n Wireless LAN.

This laptop came with Vista x64. Gateway has no XP drivers for this laptop, Only Vista/7.

I installed XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP4 but found myself with no sound, basic VGA, no ethernet or WIFI.

[​IMG]

I used my RealTek USB WIFI adapter which has its own XP drivers so I could try DriverPack Online.

I discovered that unless you enable expert mode it will install bundled apps (Opera, Avast, Search Toolbar, Yandex etc.) unless you opt-out. I also disabled creating a restore point to save time (I made an image prior to this test so restore point was unnecessary).

It is slow..it took about 15 minutes downloading before it actually began installing drivers - networking drivers which after install showed as active in the system tray. Next was Radeon HD3200 drivers. That worked, the screen blinked on and off and it continued install (I checked display properties and higher resolutions and bit depths were available but I didn't change anything because I didn't want to interfere with DriverPack).

Next came sound - Conexant HD Audio 221 - it started install but then an error message in what I thought was German appeared. At this point it was 52% installation progress. Nothing happened so I hit one the leftmost button of the dialog and it disappeared. 1 hour later and still no progress, stuck at 52%. I saw no network activity for half an hour.

[​IMG]

I checked Device Manager and saw that there was still no sound driver or modem.

[​IMG]

The modem I could care less about but no sound was a deal breaker. Screw this, I unplugged my USB WIFI and powered down.

Restored the image I made, connected my USB WIFI and instead downloaded SnappyDriver Installer (Open Source, no bundled software of any kind, just installs drivers).

https://sdi-tool.org/

15 Minutes later this was the result:

[​IMG]

Everything works, no unknown devices.

Highly recommend Snappy Driver Installer - it works as a utility of this kind should - install missing drivers AND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE.

ClippyBeer, Jul 28, 2021
    Janice likes this.
  13. Paddydr

Samir

Only thing possibly bad about snappy is that it's russian. Those guys are brilliant and many of the drivers sites are russian, but could be nefarious as well as you never know anymore in this world.

Samir, Aug 10, 2021
  14. Paddydr

ClippyBeer

Just because they're russian doesn't necessarily mean they're nefarious. Snappy Driver Installer is safe to use because:

1) I personally tested it on my own computer, no malware, services, startup entries, browser hijackers etc. added. It installed missing drivers. Period.

2) it's open source meaning you can download the source code, review it and compile your own if you wish.

https://sdi-tool.org/development/

ClippyBeer, Aug 11, 2021
  15. Paddydr

Samir

I would say that while that is true, generally any russian software pointed to the west seems to have ulterior motives. They and china are the number one and two hacker nation-state constantly hammer the US.

It is nice that it is open-source, but until some whitehat hacker combs through that code and figures out what it is doing and how and why, I wouldn't trust it.

Samir, Aug 28, 2021
Ask a Question