My 11 Year Old XP Computer Resurrected | Love it!

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by mrlen, Jan 1, 2021.

1. mrlen

mrlen

So in 2011 I woke up one morning to boot my T42 with Windows XP. And I got a fan error. That's the last time I used my computer. Yesterday, I searched about how to fix it and I found out you can just press ESC and it will boot. So I tried that and it worked! Here I am with a Lenovo T43, running XP (Service Pack 3 installed) with 1GB Ram. It's got 70GB HDD which is not bad.

The computer is like a time capsule with all my old stuff on it. All my old exe's that I downloaded (which I am putting onto a thumb drive, before something happens to the computer again). I'm rather excited. I have decided to try to install some stuff and see if I can get it running 1/2 decent again.

I think the T42 memory can be upgraded to 2GB. I've installed Mypal after asking about browser issues in a Facebook group, which is working fine. I always wrote Windows XP off in the past, because you know "no updates".. but I think if you have a good firewall and the browser is doing its job (and if I don't install dodgy stuff), I don't think there's a lot of people writing viruses for XP anymore. I've actually warmed up to the idea of keeping XP running on the Machine; even though I have been a full time Linux user for almost two years now and I love Linux.

Anyway, I am just posting here because XP was the LAST Windows OS that I actually liked. I loved it. After XP, it was all down hill from there. I literally started hating windows -- until Windows 8 came out, that was the last straw. It was an abomination. Vista has nothing on Windows 8. Although Vista was also a monstrosity. I am a Linux user now, and I can't stand Windows (with a passion).. but I always did miss XP. So I think I'll try to get this thing running, even if it's just to satisfy my nostalgia.

So if anyone has any suggestions about what I should do/install etc, to keep this machine running .. or to get it up to par for use in 2020, I'm all ears [​IMG]

So far here's my thoughts and what I have done/have planned:

Installed Mypal.
    I've uninstalled all the malware and registry cleaners I used to have on it.
    I'm trying to manually clean it up and uninstall as much as possible, then I'll make a restore point.
    I'm downloading all my old files, videos, photos etc.. 32gb.. stuff that I thought I lost.
    I'm gonna see if I can upgrade the Ram in this T43 as it only has 1GB.
    QUESTION: Can I upgrade the graphics in a Lenovo T43? Anyone know?

I'm just gonna keep it running for nostalgic reasons, even though I have more than enough laptops around this place (all Linux). I literally don't have a Windows computer in this house except for this old XP machine.

mrlen, Jan 1, 2021
  2. mrlen

mrlen

Also, I have a whole folder of exe downloads from a decade ago. I wonder if anyone would find them useful?

old forums like smf
    winscp
    wampserver
    natural reader
    realplayer
    stellarium
    flash player (pretty sure no one wants that lol)
    safari
    other stuff...

mrlen, Jan 1, 2021
    WindowsCP likes this.
  3. mrlen

Elizabeth23

there have been many updates since 2011 for xp, you should go to microsoft updates , must have IE8 and sp3 installed, and do a custom scan for updates so you can choose which updates you would like.

Elizabeth23, Jan 1, 2021
  4. mrlen

stvpls

very nice.
    you should give that fan a look if gives fan error means itsnot spinning wich may lead to overheating, if its not spinning remove the keyboard screws and kb should come up revealing the fan, give it a good blow of air keeping the fan stopped

stvpls, Jan 1, 2021
  5. mrlen

mrlen

No worries guys, will do.

I'm installing ie 8 now. I'll go and see what updates there are.

As for the fan, I can hear it running if I put my ear close. And I haven't had that fan error since I got it running again. However, I'm going to pull it apart to see if/what ram slots it has, what I need to order. I'll order some new ram and give it a bit of an update.

To be honest, this XP is running fine. If I had to use it to do common stuff like social media and YouTube, I could still use it. I've decided not to kill the XP to put Linux on there. I can install Linux on any machine. But this one still has the original XP, so I'm just gonna keep it :)

There are actually a few things that I do on Linux which are easier to compile/create from a Windows computer. It may turn out that this XP might actually do the job.

I also have some other grta utilities like Natural reader, Search and Replace, File renaming software and other stuff. This old XP might actually become useful for certain tasks, even for 2020.

mrlen, Jan 2, 2021
  6. mrlen

mrlen

I got IE8 installed again, but it seems not to work. I figured I'd try to install Edge, but that doesn't support XP.

I don't think I can do updates without a working version of IE. Hmm..

mrlen, Jan 2, 2021
  7. mrlen

mrlen

Actually, it's remarkably clean..

fan.jpg

mrlen, Jan 2, 2021
  8. mrlen

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jan 2, 2021
  9. mrlen

trimis

I don't find any Lenovo T43 or T42. There are T430 and T420 listed:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd015734-detailed-specifications-thinkpad-t420
    https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd024705-detailed-specifications-thinkpad-t430-t430i

That should say what sort of hardware upgrades are possible. This mentions someone else upgrading his:
    https://silvae86.github.io/2019/02/10/my-hacked-lenovo-t420/
    ...and this forum may help if you get stuck deciding on parts:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/

trimis, Jan 2, 2021
  10. mrlen

mrlen

I already ordered 2 sticks of 1GB for $12. I'm just gonna take my chances. I remember reading somewhere that the T43 can upgrade to 2GB.

As for getting ie running, that worked. And I am now able to get to the Windows Updates page, but it gives an error saying:

"This website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view."

Maybe we can't get those updates from Microsoft anymore?

is there a repository of updates that we can download?

Edit: I wouldn't even be so concerned about the updates, but I can only get Internet via Ethernet. Even though the wifi says connected, I can't access the Internet with it. I'm hoping updates might fix that.

mrlen, Jan 3, 2021
  11. mrlen

mrlen

The page actually says it is using active X controls to determine the version of software my computer is running. Maybe I need to install that fro the update to work?

mrlen, Jan 3, 2021
  12. mrlen

Elizabeth23

the updates page should ask you to install an active x for microsoft updates versus windows updates, you should say yes, there should be something at the top of the browser depicting this.

Elizabeth23, Jan 3, 2021
  13. mrlen

mrlen

Yeah, there was something at the top of the page, which asked me to install something. I can't remember what it was -- but I clicked to install it. However, after that, the page still has an error.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    mrlen, Jan 3, 2021
  14. mrlen

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jan 3, 2021
  15. mrlen

WindowsCP

SURE. Link to mediafire. Ill check em out.

WindowsCP, Jan 6, 2021
  16. mrlen

Hunter2021

Lol, I still have a 2003 XP desktop computer in my room that's powerup-able but just collecting dust.

Hunter2021, Feb 3, 2021
Ask a Question