MSRT Funnies

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Lusby Clark, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Lusby Clark

Lusby Clark

As recorded in semi-infinite detail on another thread, I have been struggling with taking my Dell 530s XP PC offline. The latest isue was software authenitification, particulairly Office 2003. Friday afternoon I finally decided I should just go back online for a few days with Automatic Updates ON and give both sides a chance to reconnect and establish authenitification for Office 2003. When I pushed the buttons to shut my PC down for the night I was surprised to see Microsoft offering my PC three updates before allowing it to shut down. The next morning I went looking to see exactly what was installed in this update: two updates related to Office 2007 and Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool, AKA MSRT.

I and previously done some research on the MSRT and discovered it was as of 2009, not an anti-virus program, just a removal tool for malicious software. Recently I read an article that implied the MSRT had been updated to include anit-virus capabilities. Wasn't inclined to believe this claim, but as I already have several other malicious software removal tools I can call on, I saw no reason to keep the MSRT installed. So I found it and deleted it.

Within a very few minutes I recieved two separate pop-up messages from McAfee offering to sell me a whole suite of anti-virus, malware and other PC security related software stuff. Incidently, I had some considerable difficulty forcing my will on these pop-ups - i.e. making them go away. I know I risk falling victim to the Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc logical fallacy, but darnit, this all came way too soon after I deleted the MSRT for it to have been a mere coincidence.

Is this perhaps something Microsoft does to intimidate errant PC owners? Or was McAfee able to detect the removal of the MSRT and then sneak their pop-ups passed Norton Internet Security? Either way, I am more than slightly irritated by such abhorent behavior on the part of what should be reputable corporations.

Lusby Clark, Dec 14, 2014
  2. Lusby Clark

Elizabeth23

I run MSRT every now and then and have never gotten a popup, did you disable automatic updates then you will not receive any notifications and not have to worry about any updates, if you do get updates, there will be a little shield in the notification area, IF you have automatic updates set to install at a certain time. when you click this shield always choose custom and then you can uncheck any installs that you do not want, and a box will flash up and you can check in that box to NOT be reminded of this update again.

Elizabeth23, Dec 14, 2014
Ask a Question