MPC-HC and Klite Codec Pack

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by trimis, Oct 22, 2017.

1. trimis

trimis

When I go to play nearly any sort of internet video, I get a popup saying to install either Adobe Flash (not happening!) or H-264 decoder. So I been researching the hell out of it, and best guess is that 'Media Player Classic Home Cinema' & 'Klite Codec Pack' will solve the problem. I'm using Slimboat Browser which has a download manager, so don't expect any problem downloading either/both, but:
    1. Which do I install first?
    2. How do I ensure MPC-HC and Klite are associated (i.e. merged together).
    3. How do I make it the default program? I have Daum Potplayer, WMP. and VLC already.
    WPM is getting the ax next month when I buy XPLite Pro. I definitely want to keep Daum. VLC I haven't decided yet.

trimis, Oct 22, 2017
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 22, 2017
    trimis likes this.
  3. trimis

trimis

I'm stuck between picking the 'Standard' and 'Full' versions. What do you know about this 'ffdshow'? Is it important? I saw mention of it while researching the 'H.264 encoder' at www.videolan.org., but most of it is over my head.

trimis, Oct 24, 2017
  4. trimis

Elizabeth23

most of it is over my head, I installed the full version. but do not really know what all the settings do. I just wanted to be able to play music and any dvd's. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 25, 2017
    trimis likes this.
  5. trimis

trimis

Did it work for watching TV shows or movies on the internet? When I try to do either I get a popup saying to either install Flash or the H.264. Maybe I'm trying to do this through the browser, but this way bypasses the browser by using the mpc-hc? I got no idea how to get a TV show or movie to the mpc-hc. A lot of googling did turn up this method to install H.264 into Firefox:
    http://wp.xin.at/archives/4059
    Its all out of my league, but the techie guy will be doing his monthly housecall in a couple weeks, so I'll put him onto it.

trimis, Oct 26, 2017
  6. trimis

Elizabeth23

I watch a lot of tv online usually through putlocker, but if I do not get a link I like that doesn't have a lot of popups, I just google the show I want to watch and there are other links that will let you watch without any popups,

I have listed mpc-hc as preferred in the firefox /tools/options/applications, use the dropdown to have mpc as the default.

I do have Youtube downloader installed on my pc and it will take the video from youtube and save it to my harddrive, then I can watch the video on mpc whenever I want offline. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 26, 2017
  7. trimis

trimis

How do you get the video from your hard drive to the mpc-hc? I ended up uninstalling Eagleget downloader last night because i could not get videos to the VLC Player...they were on my hard drive but could not get the video files to do anything.

trimis, Oct 29, 2017
  8. trimis

Elizabeth23

I used youtube video downloader, where you copy the url of the video to the downloader and save it to your harddrive, (I save it in My videos in My documents), then I open mpc and search for the file or go to the file and right click and choose play with mpc.

I do not have VLC installed, but it should work much the same way as mpc-hc

Elizabeth23, Oct 29, 2017
    trimis likes this.
  9. trimis

trimis

Eagleget worked the same. I would copy the url to it, and it would save it to the hard drive, but then nothing. File never showed up in VLC, and clicking on the file in the harddrive would highlight it, but nothing else. Obviously I am doing something wrong.

I'll try out MPC-HC against VLC to to see which is easier for a newbie. Not too keen on paying $19.99 for a downloader though...I will have to keep looking for a freebie. Do you suppose there is any difference between a stand-alone like you have vs a browser add-on?

trimis, Oct 29, 2017
  10. trimis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 30, 2017
    trimis likes this.
  11. trimis

trimis

trimis, Nov 1, 2017
  12. trimis

Elizabeth23

yes, I use the savefrom.net helper, I am not sure where I got the other link, but have since deleted, I try to not give links that cost money, :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 1, 2017
    trimis likes this.
Ask a Question