mouse focus switches to 1st icon

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Rudy Lewis, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

When I try to rename a desktop icon, the mouse focus switches to the 1st icon (upper left corner) which in my case is My Computer. If I highlight the desired icon again and right-click again, the mouse focus stays on the desired icon and I am able to rename it. I would like to know if their is a fix for this, if possible. It is not a terribly annoying problem; however, at least 3 to 4 months ago, I did not have this problem.

Rudy Lewis, Dec 5, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

have you tried a different mouse? My PS2 mouse connection went bad and the mouse started going where it wanted to, so now I use a usb mouse. :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 5, 2020
    1. Advertisements

3. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Thanks Liz,
    I changed my 3 button mouse to my wireless mouse which I am using on my laptop; however, the same thing happens. I have another 3 button mouse somewhere which has never been used and I will try to use that one. I hope no one suggests I reinstall XP because it is definitely not worth the effort and time since all I have to do is click on an area of the desktop or inside the folder I am in then right-click on the desired file and I can successfully rename it. As I said, it is merely and inconvenience which I can live with. However, in all fairness, I have a feeling an XP reinstall would solve the problem, but wish I new what caused the problem in the first place. It has been too long since I first had the problem that I can not remember what program I installed before the problem occurred. However, I will now document any future problems including the date. I have documented all programs I have installed, but that does not help me now since I do not know when the mouse first acted kinky. I will keep you apprised of future developments.
    Thanks,
    Rudy

Rudy Lewis, Dec 9, 2020
  4. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

you might change the speed on your mouse also and see if that helps

control panel/mouse properties,

but the only time I had this issue was because of the mouse and not the OS, :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 9, 2020
  5. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

I changed the speed and other options to no avail. I can not find anything on the internet which helps. I will look for the other mouse that I have when I am able. I have reverted to the last known good configuration in the past a few times; however, the mouse always acted the same way regarding the first rename of a file. The problem only occurs once and does not reappear until I reboot (warm or cold). If the new mouse does not work, I will wait until I am forced to reinstall XP and then document what happens. Again, I will tell you what happens with the new mouse.
    Thanks,
    Rudy

Rudy Lewis, Dec 9, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  6. Rudy Lewis

Mr Siamese Cat

Hi Rudy

May I suggest you try moving the “My Computer” Icon to the bottom right of the screen and see what happens. That’s if you haven’t tried it already. As you will no doubt understand this narrows down what the problem actually is. The mouse pointer returning to the top left of the screen is somewhat easier to diagnose than, your mouse pointer going to “My Computer” I would also suggest turning off “click lock” if it’s on.

If it is the case that the mouse pointer keeps going to the top left icon, then Janet is almost certainly correct and it is the mouse and or settings for mouse.

You could trying scaring the mouse pointer off with this Cat icon I have created from your avatar. Mice are scared of cats you see. I have put the Icon on the download site below, as one can’t directly upload icon files to xpforums.com

https://ulozto.net/file/CPoHJNpXQlar/cat-icon-ico?showDialog=1

Just choose slow download and then put the .ico file in the top left corner. The mouse will be far too scared to go there.

Mr Siamese Cat, Dec 14, 2020
    priscus likes this.
  7. Rudy Lewis

cornemuse

I use a Marble mouse. Had had the issue of pointer creeping upward whether left-right-center of screen. Was giving me fits!
    Popped the marble (ball) out & cleaned out the lint/fuzz/cobwebs & the problem went away.
    It also rolls a lot smoother when cleaned out.

cornemuse, Dec 14, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  8. Rudy Lewis

Mr Siamese Cat

Sorry Elizabeth, I mistyped and called you Janet by accident. I of course meant - Elizabeth “The XP Oracle”

Mr Siamese Cat, Dec 14, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  9. Rudy Lewis

priscus

Even with an optical mouse, I have occasionally encountered the phenomenon of the cursor slowly creeping up the screen, without any corresponding manipulation of the mouse to bring about such movement.

More noticeable when I have left a running PC unattended.

I know heat can cause this, but that has not always been an explanation.

I have wondered if a degree of vibration, or draught or suchlike may have been responsible. Never got to the bottom of this. Not a problem with all mice, and I have usually changed if I have any problems with one, only to find it usable and problem-free at some future date.

priscus, Dec 14, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  10. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Mr Siamese Cat,
    First, thank you for carefully reading my post and not putting words into my mouth such as "mouse creeping" which I never once mentioned. I will not repeat what I wrote because others can not focus on what I described, which always happens when I write posts on any forum. However, you made an excellent point. I first moved My Computer as you suggested, but left the upper left corner empty (no icon or shortcut). I warm booted, tried to rename a shortcut, but the mouse focused on My Computer again which was placed near the bottom right of my screen. I then cold booted but with the same result. I then went to the properties of the Desktop, Desktop tab, Cutomize Desktop, General tab, Desktop icons, and unchecked My Computer, OK, Apply, and rebooted (warm boot), but when I again tried to rename one of my shortcuts on the Desktop, the mouse focused on My Network Places. I then repeated the above steps and unchecked My Network Places and rebooted once again. This time the focus was placed on Recycle Bin which I (of course) can not and wll not remove. Thanks for the suggestion, but I will not add anything to my system which I am not 100% positve is safe. No offense, but I am 0% sure it is safe for me to download your file. It may be safe for you; but it may not be safe for me. I have placed one of my shortcuts where My Computer used to be in the top left corner, but the mouse does not change focus to that location. It appears the focus changes to Windows icons. I am now convinced a reinstall of Windows will fix the problem, but next time I will not be adding the same downloaded failed programs because I have documented their failures and am currently satisfied with what I have. Unless you have any suggestions regarding the new information I have given, I thank you very much for your help. If not, I will return the Windows icons and be satisfied with clicking on a blank area of the Desktop then renaming the desired file. I only do this once in a blue moon, so it will only be a slight annoyance when if becomes necessary.
    Thanks again,
    Rudy & Max (my cat).

Rudy Lewis, Dec 14, 2020
  11. Rudy Lewis

Mr Siamese Cat

Hi again Rudy

After your experimentation and your written observations, it narrows down the problem.

Two things you need to do.
    1. Go to Mouse Properties and make sure you uncheck the “Snap To” option in Pointer Options.
    2. Check the “Home” button on your keyboard is functioning correctly – IE it isn’t sticking.
    You should find that if you press the “Home” button when you are on the desktop it selects the topmost left icon. If this is somehow sticking or is faulty you will keep selecting the topmost left icon when you click the mouse.

The desktop is actually just a folder graphically represented and all that is happening is you are selecting the first file in the folder.

I suggest doing this, because it will be a bit of a hassle for you to reinstall XP only to have the same problem because you have a sticky home key.

All the best

Mr Siamese

Mr Siamese Cat, Dec 15, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  12. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Mr Siamese,
    I do not have that option in my XP. The mouse properties I have are for my Logitech 3 button Mouseman. The only box that I have under Pointers is "Enable pointer shadows" which I have checked. My home key is and always has worked fine. If you have any other suggestions I will gladly accept them then let you know if I can or can not validate them. Although I hate repeating myself when it is not necessary, if you need me to, I will repeat what I wrote in my previous posts (above) regarding the mouse movement to the My Computer icon.
    Thanks,
    Rudy & Max

Rudy Lewis, Dec 15, 2020
  13. Rudy Lewis

Mr Siamese Cat

Dearest Rudy

Although I understand that you hate repeating yourself when you don’t consider it necessary. Don’t worry, I have far more tolerance, as I have given my time for free working for charities where English is a second language for people seeking asylum. I have also worked for free helping build a playground at a local trust where children have behavioural problems and learning disabilities, so I am used to repeating myself constantly. I understand that if people don’t understand or comprehend, it is not their fault, but my fault in not using the right vocabulary or sometimes mime. I have even sometimes tried using interpretive dance, but that is not easy on XP forums.

You obviously have a really unusual version of XP Rudy. The only version of XP I have ever come across that doesn’t have “Pointer Options” I have put a picture of what most people with XP have below. You will have to put up a screen shot of your highly unusual version of XP Mouse Properties Rudy.

Pointer Options.jpg

Just to repeat myself in a more intellectually conducive way.

On a normal XP system

Pointer Options is a tab under Mouse Properties although there is Pointers tab and it is very tempting to click on, because one doesn’t have to put in the effort to move along to the next tab. Don’t press on the Pointers tab, as not only will this be useless, it will also not be the tab I expressly asked you to click on.

Regarding your Home Button. I am very pleased it has always worked perfectly and never gone wrong. You obviously know a lot about computers and keep your keyboard well serviced. I didn’t realise that you had already tested Home operation with your right and left key on your mouse pressed. My ex had a laptop that always worked perfectly for years and never went wrong – Then it did. One finds this a lot with complex items. They always work and then they don’t. It’s called wearing out.

All the best

Mr Siamese Cat

Mr Siamese Cat, Dec 15, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question