Missing files for Asian language fonts

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by TerraHertz, Apr 12, 2014.

1. TerraHertz

TerraHertz

It seems the customized WinXP install I use is missing files for Asian language support. In Control panel-->regional and languages support-->Languages both Asian lang boxes are ticked. But in Details-->Setting-->Installed services-->Add, the dropdown list does not show any Asian languages. And browsers, editors etc just show boxes for Asian characters.
    I'm guessing the necessary files were omitted to save space from the 'cut down' WinXP image I'm using.
    I do have a full WinXP CD, but for multiple reasons don't want to do a full install from that.
    Is it possible to just identify the font files, and copy them to the right place?
    Which files, from where in the CAB files, go where?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    TerraHertz, Apr 12, 2014
  2. TerraHertz

TerraHertz

Hmm. Probably not so simple.

I just tried UNchecking the Asian languages box, applying, rebooting, then rechecking it, and applying.
    As expected Windows then asked for several files from the install CD. I pointed it at an original WinXP-SP2 CD, and it fetched all the files that it wanted. Then rebooted.

But still no Asian language support.

TerraHertz, Apr 12, 2014
  3. TerraHertz

Elizabeth23

You might have to burn a new cd, I can not help you, but here may be able to and this link is nice since it tells you what would be not a good idea to remove.

Elizabeth23, Apr 12, 2014
  4. TerraHertz

TerraHertz

Thanks

Thanks very much for the link to msfn dot org. It's exactly what I was hoping to find, for this and other issues related to customized XP installs.
    I had been googling quite a bit on this, but that site didn't come up. Poor search skills? Maybe.

TerraHertz, Apr 14, 2014
  5. TerraHertz

Elizabeth23

Sometimes it is how you word your search for example

nlite

what to remove with nlite

modified xp cannot install programs

all 3 are dealing with the same problem but will get different searches. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 14, 2014
Ask a Question