Missing file?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Bill, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Bill

Bill

When I do certain things on my Dell Windows XP Pro, I ofetn get the message "Cannot find the file rundll32.exe". What does this mean and how can I correct it?

Bill, Dec 14, 2013
  2. Bill

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 15, 2013
  3. Bill

Bill

I did attempt to do what was said on Elder L.and was able to see the rundll32 file on his Sky Drive. I can't seem to figure out how to go from there. I get the "do you want to save this file prompt" and i respond yes (or ok) but nothing seems to happen. The file does show up in the down load file. If I click on it and say run again nothing seems to happen. Any advice? Where is the downloaded file?

Bill, Dec 16, 2013
  4. Bill

Elizabeth23

when you get the prompt to save, it will tell you where it is being saved , but you should just specify the desktop.

click on start, my computer, in my computer click on tools and choose folder options, under view tab in folder options check "show hidden files" and uncheck "hide extensions..." and uncheck "hide protected..."

then go to search and search for rundll32.file

whereever you downloaded it to will show up and will also show if it is anywhere else in your pc.

post back when you find it.

Elizabeth23, Dec 16, 2013
  5. Bill

Bill

The folder options were already checked as you instructed but the search still does not come up with the file. ("Nothing found") I did, however, manage to find it in c:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. I tried to right click on it but nothing happens other than an infinite hourglass. So it seems to be in there but the system doesn't know it?

Bill, Dec 16, 2013
  6. Bill

Bill

It also shows up in

c:\Documents and Settings\Bill\My Documents\Downloads

Bill, Dec 16, 2013
  7. Bill

Elizabeth23

well it appears that your downloads folder is where it downloaded to, now you want to

right click this file, choose properties, choose to unblock if it says it came from another pc.

choose to unhide and make unread only, place a copy of the file in system32 and in sysytem32\dllcache.

8. Bill

Bill

OK Chose unblock, the other two were as instructed. Read Only and Hidden were already unchecked.Hate to sound like an absolute numby but how do I place a copy of the file into system32 and system32\dllcache?

Bill, Dec 16, 2013
  9. Bill

Elizabeth23

go to start, click on my computer, click on local disk, click on windows, click on system32, on any blank space you can paste a copy of the file here

(go to your downloads and right click choose copy, then in blank space right click and choose paste)

then in the system32 folder you should see a dllcache folder open this and in a blank spot paste the file again.

close all windows and restart pc

you should not get that error now.

10. Bill

Elizabeth23

I will check back later, have to go cook supper. :)

11. Bill

Bill

For some reason I was not able to right click, copy and paste so I clicked and dragged the file into system32 and dllcache folders. I restarted and a search did show a copy of the file in each respective folder but I still don't think it is working. My test for this has been to attempt to create a new shortcut to my desktop using a favorite URL but when I do this I still get the "Windows cannot find rundll32.exe etc." message. Am I doing something wrong?

Bill, Dec 17, 2013
  12. Bill

Elizabeth23

no, the files are in the proper place an should be found.

I just tested my xp pro pc and created a shortcut on my desktop to this forum, It worked fine.

that tells me either your system is infected, or some files are corrupted.

so first:
    what is your current antivirus?

do you have any other scanners installed?

do the following:

Download, install, update and do full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remove all found, reboot, and run again until scans run clean, these can be removed afterwards if you so choose. Run scans one at a time, please.

when scans come clean then:

secondly

I want you to run checkdisk, preferably from the recovery console but it can be run from within windows, just have to restart several times

go to start, run, type in cmd

in cmd type in chkdsk c: /r and press enter

type Y for yes and press enter

type exit and press enter

restart pc, allow checkdisk to finish and run again

you can view the report in event viewer:

go to start, control panel, administrative tools, event viewer, applications log, winlogon entry.

run until no errors are found, therefore at least twice, this is a lengthy process depending on the size of your drive, and do not be concerned if at times the percentages will seem to fluctuate, this is normal.

post back with results of scans and when checkdisk has found no more errors, and you have tested the creation of your shortcut.

does it now work?

Elizabeth23, Dec 17, 2013
  13. Bill

Bill

I just tried to do another search for rundll32.exe and it finally shows up in
    rundll32
    Mon 12:06 PM
    Size: 32.5 KB
    Folder: c:\documents and settings\bill\my documents\downloads
    if I click on it it asks me if I want to run the program. Yes, No or what next? Again if I test it trying to create a new Shortcut, I get the same old message "Can't find rundll32.exe".

Bill, Dec 17, 2013
  14. Bill

Elizabeth23

the file rundll32 is not showing up in system32 and system32\dllcache??

15. Bill

Elizabeth23

also do this as you may not have permissions in the account you are using

while in your downloads folder, right click file and choose properties, on the security tab, give everyone permission to use this file

1. in the security tab, click on add
    2. in the next box that comes up click on the advanced box
    3. in the next box click on Find Now
    4. scroll down the list until you find Everyone
    5. highlight and click on OK
    6, click OK
    7. now make sure the box for full control is checked while Everyone is highlighted, click apply , click ok and now try to copy/paste the file into the two folders.

restart pc and see if the files are still in these folders, system32 and system32\dllcache

if they are, then try to create your shortcut again.

16. Bill

Elizabeth23

BTW, are you pressing F5 or refreshing the page to see if a new reply has been added??

17. Bill

Bill

I wanted to report back to you that I seem to have solved the problem (with your help obviously). As it turned out in my desperation to fix this, I had apparently downloaded the rudll file three times from the sky drive. Since there was more than one Windows in its infinite wisdom added a number sequence to each one. For example rundll32(1).exe, rundll32(2).exe etc. When I copied these files to the folders you suggested they included these numbers which were apparently were not recognized by the system. In any case when I realized this, I deleted them, downloaded rundll32 making sure to do it one at a time to avoid the (#) sequence. After restarting, it worked. Just wanted to let you know I very much aopreciate your help.

Bill, Dec 18, 2013
  18. Bill

Elizabeth23

glad your issue is resolved and thanks for the update. :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 18, 2013
Ask a Question