Missing Entry Points in Kernel32.dll

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Gail In SD, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Gail In SD

Gail In SD

I installed and then uninstalled a malware prevention suite. I used the Add/Remove Programs to do the uninstall. I then rebooted. Immediately I started getting popups from both searchprotocolhost.exe and searchfilterhost.exe saying that entry points in kernel32.dll were missing. I believe that the third party caused the problem. I have received some security patches for XP in May 2017 (in response to WannaCry) and recently in response to the threats posed by Meltdown and Spectre, at least that is what I am assuming. In order to stop the popups I have had to shut down the Windows Search service. Of course, there may be other latent problems which I cannot detect. The creation date on the current version of kernel32.dll is Aug 3, 2004 but the last modification date is March 12, 2014. The size is 993,280 bytes. The file version is 5.1.2600.6532 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.140312-0419). However, this is the one causing problems. I do not have information on whatever version was there before the third party overwrote or failed to restore the original.

Is there any way to check the XP OS and repair it after something like this has occurred? Thank you.

Gail In SD, Jan 13, 2018
  2. Gail In SD

Gail In SD

This is a follow on to the above. The error log reports these errors in the Application Log as:
    he protocol handler Outlook.Search.MAPIHandler.1 cannot be loaded. Error description: The specified procedure could not be found. There are numerous errors in the System log associated with the software install and uninstall.

Gail In SD, Jan 13, 2018
  3. Gail In SD

Elizabeth23

if you have your original install cd, you can do a repair install which would save your data, BUT if your cd is at , for example, sp2, then the repair goes back to sp2 and sp3 plus all the updates will have to be reinstalled and half your programs will not work right and will have to be reinstalled, rather than a repair, you should just back up your data and reinstall.

----------------------
    below came from HERE:

To resolve this problem, repair your Office installation.
    1. Start Control Panel.
    2. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program. (Note, you will Not be uninstalling Office)
    3. Select your Office installation and click Change.
    4. In the Office installation dialog box, click Repair and then click Continue.
    5. When the repair process is finished, click Finish.

Elizabeth23, Jan 13, 2018
  4. Gail In SD

Gail In SD

Hello Elizabeth23 and thank you for your reply!
    I do have the original CD but what you suggest is more drastic than I want to undertake.
    I have done more work on my system and was able to stop the problem of the popup by disabling the Windows Search service. The problem seems to only affect Windows Search which was updated during a recent MS security patch. Is there a way to simply patch the Windows Search function which may be the root of the problem?
    Once again, sincere thanks!

Gail In SD, Jan 13, 2018
  5. Gail In SD

Elizabeth23

is this windows search 4.0? if so go here and download a new copy for your pc and in add/remove , remove the old one , reboot and then reinstall.

on some of your posts in other pages, your problem with removing avg and avast most likely stem from not using their removal tool to get rid of the program, you can either reinstall the program and then use the tool to remove, or search the registry and the c: drive for any instance of this program and then delete that item. as always be careful in the registry to ensure that you do not delete anything necessary to the OS function.

Elizabeth23, Jan 13, 2018
  6. Gail In SD

Gail In SD

I did remove it using their suggested method with Add/remove programs. But I do see they have another removal tool. The errors I noticed were only reported in the log files. I go no error messages or warnings during the actual removal. If this will resolve it, I wonder why they don't post this option on their web site or in their forums? I will look into this further. Thank you for the great suggestion!

Gail In SD, Jan 14, 2018
  7. Gail In SD

Gail In SD

Gail In SD, Jan 14, 2018
  8. Gail In SD

Gail In SD

Also, just FYI, the search version appears to be version 7. However, I do not mind an older version if it works!

Gail In SD, Jan 14, 2018
  9. Gail In SD

Elizabeth23

hmmm, I do not remember a version 7 for xp, did you get this through microsoft updates, optional updates?

do the uninstall of the old one and install the one from the update and see if that helps the issue.

Elizabeth23, Jan 14, 2018
  10. Gail In SD

Gail In SD

Yes, the May 2017 update changed the search. I actually preferred the old one.

Gail In SD, Jan 15, 2018
  11. Gail In SD

Elizabeth23

has your issue cleared? I have never installed windows search as I like the search companion that is built in to xp. :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 15, 2018
  12. Gail In SD

Gail In SD

Not as yet. Thank you for following up.

Gail In SD, Jan 16, 2018
Ask a Question