Missed Oportunity for Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Hunter2021, May 19, 2023.

1. Hunter2021

Hunter2021

Nobody needs Windows 10/11. I have a Windows 11 laptop. The only good Win11 did there was to become the permanently offline OS, while I go online with a second Linux partition!!

Microsoft really needs to stop their game of spying and forcing updates on the users. Otherwise, they'd take drastic measures like I did!!

Because MS went the wrong direction with Win10/11, I really think they missed out on this BIG opportunity:

Lots of people have a powerful computer at home and many more weak-powered Android tablets. Instead of just rehashing Win7 with even uglier interfaces and called them Win10/11, MS should have made a new bet with the home (NOT/NEVER cloud) server OS. Basically allow Windows Home Server to seamlessly use weak Android tablets as dumb terminals for wireless interaction with the powerful home computer. Nobody likes having to pay monthly fees for a cloud version of Windows, and what happens when the internet goes down, you can't use the computer period!

Seems like a BIG opportunity lost on MS. I just hope some company smart enough to see the HUGE opportunity in this market segment.

Imagine you're the sys admin of a large office running 20-100 computers. All you need is one powerful supercomputer and the weaker and much cheaper dumb terminals and you can save the company a bundle over having 20-100 actual physical computers!

Hunter2021, May 19, 2023
  2. Hunter2021

Hunter2021

IMAGINE you have a family of four. Instead of everyone gets a computer in their room, can just have 1 supercomputer in the living room that simultaneously serves 4 people via 4 wireless dumb terminals like an Android tablet. You can do everything your normally do on a desktop PC.

This is the kind of setup that actually makes use of the latest technology:

1. Needs CPU with smallest transistors to save power b/c I can imagine this kind of computer would need to be on 24/7.

2. Acts as the mothership for IOT devices accessible to everyone in the house. Microsoft been trying to crawl their way into ppl's living rooms for ages. This kind of purpose can make their goal finally achieved.

3. The OS would need to be redesigned for multi-instance usage. MS can finally put all their talents to work, make money writing software instead of letting the public domain systems like Linux steal their lunch simply b/c the open source community can never pull off such a complex piece of work unless they hired professional software engineers and programmers.

4. We went from single core CPUs to multi-cores in the late 2000's. It is time for a paradigm shift of multiple simultaneous users OS. Unfortunately MS still trying to make single user OSes like the upcoming Windows 12...

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    Hunter2021, May 20, 2023
Ask a Question