Microsoft Licensing Restrictions

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Lusby Clark, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Lusby Clark

Lusby Clark

Don't know if you guys are already aware of this issue, but I just read that Microsoft still holds tightly to the reins to OEM Windows software. If, six, seven, eight years ago you bought a Dell or a Gateway PC that come with an OEM license for Windows XP, Microsoft objects to you transferring the XP software to a generic computer, even one you are building yourself. I'm not certain but I suspect this applies to OEM Office Products as well. I can't imagine how this affects persons using WINE on a linux PC.

While I have no plans to do anything like that right now, but if my Dell 350s were to fail, I would find myself with perfectly good software and no way to use it. Kind'a like buying a car and when the engine goes out I the automobile company refuses to allow me to swap the transmission into another automobile. But of course, Microsoft just wants us to purchase another suite of Windows software, thus putting ourselves in a position where eventually we end up owning perfectly good software and no way to use it. This all seems like restraint of trade, to me. But what do I know, I am no lawyer?

Lusby Clark, Dec 12, 2014
  2. Lusby Clark

Elizabeth23

Yes, the oem licenses are tied to the pc they came installed on, if you replace parts with genuine oem parts on to the same pc, then the license is still good, but you are correct it is not transferable.

Elizabeth23, Dec 12, 2014
Ask a Question